Chapter 6: Chairs and Fairs

“Chloe!” my aunt was knocking on my bedroom door “wake up honey! We have to leave in an hour”

I rolled out of bed and walked like a zombie into the bathroom. It was Sunday, meaning the fair was today. I was already regretting my decision to go early when I looked at my phone and realized it was six in the morning. I quickly brushed out my long hair and threw on the dress that I had set out last night. I was dead tired, but I knew once we got to the park I would wake up right away.

I walked downstairs to find Keegan eating breakfast. He obviously was not ready to go, considering he was sitting in sweatpants and an old t-shirt. I grabbed myself a bowl and poured some of the cereal that was on the table into it. Keegan and I didn't say a word to each other, mainly because we were so exhausted.

We spent last night with Emily and Eli over until at least one, not remembering that we had only five hours until we had to be up. We ordered pizza and hung out in the basement playing board games, video games, and just goofing off. It was a night of fun, but now looking back on it, we should’ve probably gone to bed a little earlier.

“Keegan James” my aunt said “we have to leave in twenty minutes and you’re not even changed!”

I tried to hold in my laughs as he got in trouble. Over the last week Keegan and I had gotten fairly close, but I guess that’s bound to happen when your force into a situation where you have to live with no one you know.

He walked downstairs to get changed and my aunt made herself a cup of coffee. Her curly hair was straitened and hanging loosely, as she walked around the counter and took a seat beside me at the table.

“Come on Chloe” my aunt said “if we want to be there on time, we have to leave now.”

I nodded and walked to the front door and put my shoes on, as my aunt yelled down at Keegan to hurry up. Five minutes later a sleepy Keegan made his was upstairs. Though he looked as if he just came back from the dead, he managed to clean up well.

We both stepped into the car and Susan drove off to the park where the fair was being held. Shay and Colton were going to meet us there later, along with Garrett, who I barely saw at all since he was so busy with work. They were all lucky, considering they got to sleep in, though I was looking forward to spending the morning helping out with Keegan and Eli at my side.

My aunt pulled over to the side of the road and we got out. The park looked amazing already, and I wasn’t even in yet. There were many stations set up across the large flat area of grass. I followed Keegan down the pathway to the center of the park, which had a giant fountain and the circular path around it was surrounded by flowers. There were events being set up everywhere. I could see an apple bobbing area, some games for kids, lots of carnival games, and even a dance floor and a stage.

“Alright” my aunt said to Keegan and me “here's the deal. You kids just help out during the day and at night your don’t have to do anything. You can enjoy yourselves.”

I saw Keegan nodding to himself, probably enjoying the fact that he had all night to spend with Emily. I rolled my eyes at my cousin.

“Now” she continued. “You kids just have to help set up the chairs and tables around the dance floor for the buffet. And make sure everyone has a clear view of the band. We don’t want any complaints tonight. Especially since this is a charity event.”

Keegan and I nodded and we walked over to the stage and started to set up the tables with the other volunteers. The band was setting up their instruments up on the stage as we set up the below them. I’d never seen anyone play live before, so I was really looking forward to seeing them.