Chapter 4: school days and families ways

When I got home, Susan was organizing all the school supplies and backpacks in the living room. She was such an organized person, making sure all her kids had everything they needed.

"Oh!" she said when she noticed me "Chloe! Come look at the things I got you!"

I walked over and sat down on the carpet beside her. She had four backpacks laid out in front of her, each with a stack of supplies on top.

"I got you this one" she said to me, pointing to the solid light blue backpack. It was a very pretty colour, and very subtle so I wouldn't get noticed in the hallways.

"I love it" I told my aunt. She smiled. "I hoped you would. And I got you two pencil cases, one for your pencils and regular supplies, and one for your art supplies. Oh! And I got you these!"

She carefully grabbed one of the many plastic shopping bags and handed it to me. I opened it and looked inside to see a large sketch book, some art pencils, acrylic paints, charcoal and expensive pencil crayons. I looked up to her and smiled. Tears started to form in my eyes. Never in my life has someone cared about my art. I gave my aunt a huge thank you hug and carefully placed the supplies into my art case.

"These are your textbooks" my aunt told me. "And I put your schedule in a protective cover so it won't ruin. You have math with Keegan and you can ask him if he knows anyone else who's in your other three classes."

"Don't worry" I told my aunt "I'll be fine. Eli and Emily have been so nice to me."

"That's good to hear. Eli really needs a friend now,"

"Why?" I asked my aunt. But she just shook her head.

"He went through a lot last year" she told me "I'm not in the right place to tell you the details. He'll tell you when he's ready to talk"

I nodded, knowing exactly how he felt. I didn't realize even the happy, rich kids had problems of their own. It never occurred to me, but I guess that's what happens when you fantasize about being in their position your entire childhood.

Once I finished packing away my backpack, I said goodnight to Susan and headed up to my room. Tomorrow was the big day. I carefully picked out my outfit from my collection of new clothes, hoping to find the perfect thing for a first impression. I ended up deciding up going with a pair of skinny jeans and a white layered top. I got dressed and slipped under the covers, knowing that I wouldn't fall asleep for at least another hour.

"Chloe!" I groaned at the sound of shays voice and rolled over, putting the pillow over top of my head.

"Wake up!" she shouted at me "it's the first day of school Chloe!"

She started jumping on my bed, shaking the floor. I took the pillow off my head and looked at the clock. It was a quarter past seven. I groaned again and stepped out of bed to see that Shay was already dressed. She looked adorable in her light-wash jeans and her white shirt, which she had put a beige cropped jacked on top of. She completed the look by wearing sparkly flats and a headband with a flower on it.

"Get dressed and come down for breakfast!" she ordered "then we can go to school!"

I smiled at Shay as she ran out of my room, shutting the door behind her. It was day four of living with the Reeves family, and I was on my way to Westmount High to spend my final year of school. I carefully headed to the bathroom and stepped into the shower. I dried my hair using the blow drier that Susan had gotten for me and slipped on my jeans and my shirt. I looked in the mirror and smiled.

"Breakfast!" Susan called from downstairs. I quickly left the bathroom and walked downstairs. Garrett was sitting at the table in his suit, reviewing a file while slowly eating a pancake that Susan was making. I hadn't seemed much of Garrett because he was always working. He would go to work early and come home late. I suppose that's what happens when you make it far in a career.