Chapter Forty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Have you guys done it before?" she asked again suggestively while Bey tried not to choke on her soda. Jonah attempted to hide his reddened face by gulping down his water and I just hung my head low and groaned out loud. "I know Hannah here is a damn prude, but maybe you, Jonah, maybe you have a secret wild side you've been hiding from us?"

Water sprayed all over from Jonah's mouth. "Gina," he choked, but it was the only thing he could say before he went into a coughing fit.

"Please just shut up," I said, rubbing Jonah's back until he stopped coughing. "You're really killing him."

"Well, just don't forget to use protection," my best friend hummed, ignoring our matching death glares, "just because you've exchanged rings in Life Skills class doesn't mean you can have real babies straight away."

I buried my face in my hands. "We're not doing the do," I muttered. "We're not having real babies anytime soon."

"What she said," Jonah murmured back. "I just—" he coughed, "we're too young."

"I know you are," Gina fake-sighed. "But—"

"Please don't start with the talk," I begged. "I just had one yesterday.  Please just don't do it."

I really hoped Gina would shut up soon, because this certain topic was making me want to think of things that should be really inappropriate to think of in the middle of a lunch room.

"Your parents finally give you the talk?" Gina asked before bursting into laughter. "Who brought it up? The Mr. or the Mrs?"

"My dad," I said. "He brought it up. We all were red on the face so please don't make me think of it again, okay?"

"Alright, alright, I'll shut up," she finally said. "But really, if you two finally do it—"

We cut her off with a glare, and she finally raised her hands in surrender.

The rest of the day went normally dull—surprise quiz from Ms. Bishop, nearly broke my leg in gym, just the usual—except for the fact that when I walked out of gym, Jonah was standing there with daisies in his hands.

I don't even want to know how it got there.

The assumption Clara and I had made about Jonah being a closeted hopeless romantic was probably true. Maybe it was just because he had been keeping most of his feelings inside, so once he decided to be affectionate, he really did release all of that pent-up affection he had in his chest. Or maybe he was just trying something new, because I was his first girlfriend and he probably had figured out that boyfriends were supposed to surprise their girlfriends with flowers. Either way, it still made me want to tear up how cute Jonah was being right now.

It shouldn't be this surprising to me to see him being cute and all since it wasn't the first time he had turned mushy on me, but it still did anyway. Apparently, everyone was caught off-guard too, as they simply stared at us, the possibly unlikeliest couple in Northside High standing in front of each other, with a bunch of lilies as the barrier between us.

We'd really only known each other for a short while, but it already felt like we had wholly known each other for a lifetime. Yet, as I was staring up at that small sheepish smile on his face, I was feeling the same old giddiness I had felt before when I saw him biting into his red apple all those years ago. The feelings were the same and they were only getting stronger—at least for me. I couldn't imagine anyone else but Jonah being the one who was standing there holding my favorite flowers.

Jonah's cheeks started to turn pink when he realized that he was forming a crowd around us. Guess he didn't really calculate the possibility of catching people's attention, but honestly, none of that mattered to me. I took steps forward and gave him a kiss on his cheek before taking the flowers from his hands.