Chapter 9

The drive to Wayne's place was mostly quiet. We stopped at the department store first, but Wayne was the only one to get down to buy the dye. I stayed in the car, thinking about what I was getting myself into as I listened to the radio. Wayne hadn't turned the car off. I looked around, feeling the car seat. He had a nice car. He had nice clothes. He's really done some good for himself. I thought as I let the tips of my fingers make a beat on the dashboard. Wayne came back soon after, throwing the white nylon bag with the dye box in the back seat before flashing a smile at me before returning his attention to the steering wheel. He drove out of the mostly empty parking lot, humming along to the song on the radio as he drove.

The horrible pop-punk. The stupid stuff he only listened to when he was alone or around me.

A smile made its way to my face as I thought about it. It felt nice to have things Wayne only did with me.

After the next thirty minutes on the road, we made it to his place. We came to a final stop in the driveway of one of the small identical flats on the streets. I wasn't sure what to think as I looked at the tiny house with a flat roof and a tiny parking space/lawn area. I guess I assumed Wayne's house would be a lot bigger, but then I realized it didn't make sense to have such a big house when you were just one person.

"Come on." Wayne's voice and the sound of the driver's door closing shut brought me out of my thoughts. I realized he had gotten out of the car, so I got out too, watching as he checked the back doors before locking the car doors with his central key. He made his way to the tiny porch, and I followed behind him.

I couldn't make out the colors of the house, but I noticed it was a light color lined with black at the edges of the walls. I liked the small start-up garden Wayne had going on in the lawn. He's always loved plans, he kept a lot in his room when we were at university, and I used to water them when he had to leave for an extended period of time to attend to things at home. I liked plants too, and I also wanted a garden, but I couldn't really afford anything that wasn't a tiny apartment in a large building complex because of my rent.

"Come in," Wayne urged when he unlocked the door and stepped into his house. I walked in, immediately noticing how bare the place was. It was expected. He had moved in just a month ago. I liked the expensive flooring and ceiling design. It wasn't the worn-out carpet in my apartment covering the cheap wooden flooring. I felt awkward standing at the corner, but I didn't know if I should let myself sit on one of his sofas, they were still covered with a cover as if waiting for him to use them.

Wayne disappeared into the hallway with the nylon bag of dye before walking back into the living room and waving a book over his head as he grinned at me.

"We can look at our graduating yearbook as I dye your hair," he said as his grin widened. I rose a brow at him, wondering why he still had that. Maybe it was normal to keep things like that. It was sentimental I guess, but it was different for me. I didn't have good memories attached to when we were in university, so there was no point keeping things that reminded me of it.

"Hmm, I was expecting a more enthusiastic response," he said with a small chuckle before sighing. "Come on, I'm dying your hair in my room," he said, disappearing into the hallway again. I followed him, hurrying my steps so that I was trailing behind him.

We got to his room soon after, and I had a good look at it when Wayne unlocked the door and stepped in. I followed him n, staring at the newspaper sheets he had scattered under the chair propped in front of one of the bedside tables.

"I have no idea how to scrub carpets, so let's not risk that," he said offering me an explanation as he urged me to take a seat. He draped a towel around my shoulders before disappearing into the bathroom that was connected to his room. He came out with some bowls, a mixing spoon, an application brush, a comb, and a hairdryer. He dropped everything on the cleared bedside table before sectioning my hair and doing a quick strand test after making the dye mix. He said he didn't need to bleach my hair first since it was the same color.