Prologue

David sighed, the cup of tea clasped in his hands long cold. The clock's incessant ticking only seemed to annoy him. He ran a hand through his light blond hair, his gaze fixed on the fireplace.

Why can't I seem to get a good lead? He mused, stirring the tea for what felt like the hundredth time that evening. There is no true connection. What have I missed?

He stood, beginning to pace around his well decorated study as he ran over the cases in his mind again, the flickering of the candle's flames casting long shadows across the wooden floor. A soft knock broke his line of observations, and he looked up towards the door of the study.

"Come in." he replied.

The door squeaked open, and in came a raven-haired maid and a stately looking man in the blue suit of a policeman with brown hair and eyes to match. The lady servant gave a small curtsy.

"Inspector Daines. I don't mean to intrude so late, but this fellow said he needed to speak with you immediately." She motioned to the officer.

David gave her a kind smile.

"It's quite alright, Amber, I wasn't in the middle o anythin'. Ya may go." He said, his homeland Irish accent coming out strong. He turned to the man, a bright smile on his face as he offered the man his hand. "Officer Sebastian, what a surprise."

The Policeman accepted the gesture, his face serious. "I apologize for the interruption Inspector, but I'm afraid at this hour I didn't come for a casual visit."

David released the man's hand, his heart racing. That could only mean one thing. Officer Sebastian drew himself up to a more formal air.

"There has been another unusual crime case, this time at 461 Broken Cane Street, the Chief believed you may want to take a look firsthand."

David's excitement exploded, and he found himself unable to waste another second. The Investigator pushed past the Officer, darting down the hall and stairs to the main entry coat closet. This investigation may yield the crucial information he was missing! He snatched up his dark brown bowler hat and a red scarf.

"Miss Amber!" he called, fiddling with the garments.

The young maid popped around the corner, a well worn ink pen in her hand. She slipped it into her apron like a stolen cookie, smiling sheepishly. David almost chuckled. She had been drawing during chores again. He didn't mind her practicing, and rather liked the small sketches he would find around the manor from time to time. As long as she kept up with her duties and didn't get too carried away that is.

"Yessir?"

David tucked the ends of his scarf into his dark tan suit as Officer Sebastian caught up; he didn't want the ends flying about the crime scene.

"The Chief of Police has summoned me to investigate a crime scene on Broken Cane Street." he explained opening the front door. "I may be gone for quite a while. Tell the butler for me would you?"

Amber nodded.

"I'll be sure to tell him, sir."

David nodded his thanks and made his way out the door. The first whispers of cold winds signaled the beginning of fall. Not yet too cold, but chilled enough to want the scarf he had brought. A navy police carriage waited outside, the well-kept bay that pulled it whinnying a greeting. Officer Sebastian opened the door to the carriage, motioning for him to climb inside. David took his seat at the back of the carriage, removing his hat as the policeman followed him inside. With a sharp tap on the driver's window they were off.