The Journal (Chapter 2)

The Shadow

Chapter 2

I rushed down the stairs and went to the living room. I found Charlie sitting on the sofa while reading a comic book. Mrs. Linsberg told me to call my parents and tell them that I would be sleeping over tonight in Charlie's house. So I ring up my house phone and my mother answered "Yes, who's on the line please?" I still can hear the sadness in her voice and I said "Mom, this is William. I think I'm going to be sleeping over for the night in Charlie's house." My mom said "Okay but first thing in the morning you need to come back here because we need to go see your grandfather." I agreed my mother about that and hung up the phone.

Mrs. Linsberg asked

"So what did your mother said Willy? Did she let you stay for the night?" I nodded and ran towards Charlie. When I was about to tell him what I saw in the toilet, Mrs. Linsberg called us for dinner. She cooked Paella, a Spanish dish served in a large swallow pan like in those restaurants. Oh, I forgot to mention about Charlie's mother is Spanish and his father is Russian. Her mother is hot and his father is handsome. Don't scold me Charlie about saying your mother is hot because she is.

When we were eating, I asked Mrs. Linsberg

"Isn't Mr. Linsberg going to join us for dinner?" Charlie replied "His working late, he would always come home late at night. I wouldn't blame him because his keeps us alive." I laughed at the phrase "Keeping us alive." Mrs. Linsberg stopped eating and asked me

"So, what brings you here to see Charlie?" when I was about the reason I was here, I saw the shadow again but this time it's behind Mrs. Linsberg. I was shocked, the words I wanted to say were stuck in my throat but when I blinked my eyes the shadow disappeared.

"Hey, are you okay?" Charlie shakes my whole body as if I was dead or something. Then I said to him I'm fine. I told Mrs. Linsberg about my grandfather's sudden death. Mrs. Linsberg was shocked and closed her mouth with her hands and opened it again and said "I'm so sorry. I didn't know." I told her never mind but she insisted that tomorrow morning she would send me back home using her car. I told her it was okay but she convinced me to let her drive me back so I couldn't turn down the offer. Besides, it would be easier than paddling back home.

After that delicious dinner made by Charlie's mom, I thanked her for the dinner. She smiled and said "It was nothing; at least you kids would be fat either than being skinny."

No wonder Charlie was hilarious every time. He got it from his mom. I ran to Charlie's room and Charlie followed. He was patting now and almost at his boiling point.

He asked me "What's wrong with you man! First my mother asked you something but you paused for a long while and now I'm running in my own house? What is going on? Is there something you want to tell me?"

I wiped the sweat around my forehead and told him "I saw something in the toilet just now but I ignored it and when we were eating. You're mother asked me why I was here. I tried to tell her but I saw the shadow again and this time it was behind of your mother."

Charlie gave me a look that says "Dude, you're crazy."

But he believed all the things I said. At first, he said I was nuts but he changed

His mind and said "The dead is finding you William. He may have a message for you or something."

I didn't believe what he said, a message? Using a shadow to pass my message? I wanted to say maybe it was my imagination or I was too stressed out or something but he totally cut my words off because he knew I was going to say that. He then told me "This is a supernatural case. We need to investigate it."

After hearing that, I was 100% sure that my friend here was out of his mind. First he was a joker. Then he told me words that made sense. Then he told me that I'm nuts and now he wants to investigate this supernatural thingy? What is he anyway? Does he even know the basics of being a paranormal investigator and does he even have the gadgets to find those paranormal people? I totally gave myself up and said I was going to turn off the light and ready for bed.

He then told me "William, maybe your grandfather is trying to tell you something, something important." I ignored him and went to cuddle myself in the sleeping bag. I could hear him whispering to himself saying about investigating it.

He then forced me to wake up. When I did, he told me he wanted to follow with me tomorrow when I'm going to my grandfather's barn. I totally was at my boiling point now. I even punched him in the face.

I told him "Enough of this nonsense, this is making me miserable!" hearing the word grandfather makes me feel like I'm going to cry. I forgot to tell you that I was a very sensitive person. I can cry easily. That's why people called me "Gay" but actually I'm not.

Charlie stared at me with disbelief thinking that his friend punched him on the face.

He shouted at me saying "I was just trying to help! Don't need to punch people!"

I didn't have any words anymore. I too didn't believe I punched him. I didn't want to say sorry right away so I went back to bed.

I slept peacefully that night. I woke up from smelling something delicious coming from downstairs. So I woke up and went down to the kitchen and stared at Charlie and his parents. I said sorry to Charlie for what happened last night. He immediately forgives me and said it was nothing and I got to see Charlie's father. He was really handsome and was in a tidy working suit and was ready to go to work. He then said

"So who might this be? Are you William my son kept on talking about?" Charlie coughed and said "Dad, we talked about this." His dad then said "Just asking no need to answer is fine for me." I just nodded whether or not he saw it I didn't mind.

Mrs. Linsberg smiled at me and said "Go and wash your face and get dress up. We don't you running late to go home. Do we?" I nodded and hurriedly to get dress.

Mrs. Linsberg made omelets for breakfast and a glass of fresh orange juice. Mrs. Linsberg then told me that Charlie would also be following me to my grandfather's place. I didn't mind him there just I hate about him is about the investigating paranormal creatures. That part made me feel like I'm going to throw up in seconds but I didn't actually throw up, I'm just saying that. Mrs. Linsberg sent me home after having breakfast. My dad and mom were already waiting outside of the house and were standing beside a cab. When Mrs. Linsberg parked the car outside the house, she talked to my mother about Charlie joining with us. My mom didn't said no for an answer. She agreed with Mrs. Linsberg because I might get bored there without a friend. I over heard my mother's conversation with Charlie's mother. I think I heard something about me but I'm not sure if I heard was right.

I heard Mrs. Linsberg telling my mother "Isn't about time he knows about the past of your father?" my mother replied "I think it's also the time for him to know but would he even can handle it?" I ran towards my mother and said "If it's something you need to tell me about grandpapa I'll find out myself. I don't one anyone telling me things I don't know. I want to know myself." My mother said "But how would you know without anyone telling you?" I said "Please, I think I knew something like this would happen to me someday. I can feel the presence of grandpapa sometimes. His trying to tell me something, so I'm going to find out about it with Charlie's helping hand." My mother agreed and kneels down and reached for my arm and patted it and said "After knowing the message your grandpapa wants you to hear, help him to solve it. We wouldn't want him to not rest in peace, do we?" I nodded and ran back to the cab.

My mother said farewell to Charlie's mother and went into the cab too.

Although it would take hours to get there but we did arrived there safe and sound.