Craving - Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Jade

The Great Wall of Talon Steel stopped me in my tracks. Damn. "Sorry."

"What are you doing here?" He didn't smile.

Of course, he never smiled.

"I came to see Jonah. Why is that any of your business anyway?"

"Joe's getting ready to head out to pasture and check on some steers. And everything that happens on this ranch is my business, blue eyes."

I doubted that, but why argue? Besides, my tummy was fluttering from the "blue eyes." I had a feeling he could call me just about anything and I'd react. "I haven't seen him since I've been here, and I want to say hi and thank him for letting me stay."

"I see. Well, don't let me get in your way." He turned and walked away.

I knocked on the door and then opened it. "Is anyone here?"

"Yeah, come on in." Jonah was in the corner, checking the spurs on his boots. "Hey, Jade."

"Hi. Sorry if I've come along at a bad time."

"Not at all. I have a few minutes. What's on your mind?"

Talon.But I couldn't say that. "Not a whole lot. I just wanted to come by and thank you for letting me stay at the main house with Marj."

"Oh, that's no problem at all. As you've seen, we've got the room. We're happy to have you."

"I'm glad. I really appreciate all you guys are doing for me."

"Any friend of Marjorie's is a friend of ours."

"Yeah... Well, I'll see you around. I'll let you get back to your work." I turned.

"Jade, wait a minute."

I turned back. "Yeah?"

Jonah walked toward me, his spurs clacking on the floor. "There's something I want to ask you, if you don't mind."

"Not at all."

"I understand you're helping Ryan over at the winery."

"Yeah. I'm really excited about it." Was that what he wanted to know about?

"So..." He hedged a bit. "What do you think of my brother?"

Ryan? That was who we were just talking about, right? "He's great."

"Great. Hmm."

"Yeah. I mean, he didn't have to give me a job at the winery."

Jonah shook his head. "Oh, no, I'm not talking about Ryan. I'm talking about Talon."

Talon... What could I say about Talon? Oh, he's the best kisser in the world, but other than that he hardly speaks to me, and when he does, he's usually rude. "Well... He... I don't really know what to say. Talon keeps to himself."

"Have you and he..."

What in the hell was he talking about? And then it dawned on me. Talon might have told Jonah about our kisses. Did brothers talk about things like that? I had no idea.

"Have he and I what?"

"Never mind."

But suddenly I wanted to know exactly what he meant. Talon was such an enigma. "I'd really like to know what you're going to ask. In fact, I'd really like to know more about Talon."

"Why is that?"

"Well, he's so...closed up, you know?"

Jonah nodded. "He's been through a lot."