XI: who wants to live forever

"there's not time for us, there's no place for us."

"When do you think she'll wake up?" Edmund's foot was tapping on the floor and had been for the past two hours

"When do you think she'll wake up?" Edmund's foot was tapping on the floor and had been for the past two hours. Caspian and the other Pevensies were stood around the bed.

Peter places his hand on Ed's shoulder. "She'll wake up soon." He said.

Caspian cleared his throat. "Of course she will, she's a fighter. After what she's been through she has to be." He sat down next to Edmund and clutched onto his sisters hand.

Peter shook Edmund. "Come on, Ed." He tried to get his brother up but Edmund wasn't moving. Peter bent down. "Edmund, she's his sister."

Edmund's eyes flickered to Juliet's face and stroked her cheek before getting up and walking out. Peter turned to the Telmarine Prince and nodded understandingly, leaving Caspian with Juliet. As soon as that door banged shut, Caspian started to cry.

"I'm so sorry." He said, tears flowing down his cheeks slowly. "This is all my fault." He looked down at her wrist and the piece of ice lodged into it, no blood or anything, it was just sat there. A part of her.

Her eyes flickered.

"Juliet?" Caspian gasped breathlessly. Then, suddenly, like something out of a story Professor Cornelius would tell, ice started to grow from the bed she was laying on. Caspian jumped up in shock, then as soon as the ice appeared it disappeared and Juliet woke up.

"Caspian? Caspian!" Her arms were held up in front of her and Caspian sat down on the bed next to her.

"Hey, hey, hey! I'm here." Caspian smiles uncontrollably.

She steadied herself. "What just happened?"

"Oh you got injured-"

"I know that!" Juliet laughed at him. "I mean just then, I felt all cold it was strange." Her smile dropped.

"I'll get the Professor." Caspian squeezes her hand and then left, returning shortly with Cornelius.

Cornelius sat down and inspected the ice in Juliet's wrist. He didn't look concerned but he did explain. "It's a part of you, reacts with your emotions." He said.

"Is it harmful?" She asked with a shaky voice.

The Professor looked up at Caspian. "Only if you can't control it."

"Oh, Aslan." Juliet started to panic and she got overly cold again, starting to shiver.

Caspian held her shoulders and pulled her in for a hug. "We can do this. We can, I promise." He softly whispered in her ear. Even though he wasn't one hundred percent sure.

The next day, Juliet spent with Professor Cornelius trying to control these new abilities. There were some good times and times where she would've rather died than be in that situation. But he'd cracked on and now, within less than a time span of twenty-four hours, she was steady.

Edmund hadn't been told she was awake. Peter knew that he'd have to deal with these consequences.

"Well? When can I see Edmund then?" Juliet asked as Caspian dragged her up to the top of the How. He sat her down and they both looked at the sunset over the hills.

"Miraz has his troops in the woods, Edmund confronted him today and he's coming tomorrow to fight Peter to the death." Caspian explained. "If a real fight breaks out, I need to know you'll be okay."

Juliet scoffed. "I'll be fine, I always am." She let a little laugh escape her lips and glanced down to her wrist before covering it gently.

A few moments later, Edmund and Peter wandered out onto the glade with their swords in their hands, Juliet and Caspian watching them. "Ed? You really like her, don't you?" Peter asked him as they began to duel. Peter has never won a duel against Edmund.

"Who? Juliet?" Edmund let a smile creep up onto his lips. "Yeah."

"Okay, don't be mad at us." Peter said as they carried on.

"Us?" Edmund's eyebrows furrowed together in a line as he tried to understand what his brother was saying.

Peter looked up to the How to see the two Telmarines sitting and watching them. Edmund snapped.

"What?!" He shouted at his brother as Juliet started to realise something was wrong. "You knew she was okay and you didn't tell me?"

Juliet jumped up and sprinted down to the entrance as she was followed by Caspian. By the time they both reached Ed and Peter, they were full on fighting. "Edmund! Stop!" She pulled him off of his brother and shook his shoulders as he came face to face with her.

Edmund caught his breath back as Juliet told Caspian and Peter to get the hell inside before she started fighting them too, this left the two younger kids staring at each other.

Edmund pulled Juliet into a hug and wrapped his strong arms around her waist tightly as hers went round his neck. "Are you-?"

"I'm okay." She mumbled.

He smiled and buried his nose into her hair. "Juliet?" He whispered as she lifted her head and looked at him.

"Ed?" She mimicked, smiling brightly. He grabbed her chin and lowered his head, closing his eyes and bringing her lips to his. Juliet brought her hands down to rest on his chest and smiled into the kiss they were sharing. When they broke away Juliet laughed quietly as Edmund just smiled down at her.

"I like you, a lot." He said after a while.

"I like you a lot too, Ed." Juliet whispered. "Can I call you Edmund the Just, though?"

"No, absolutely not." He laughed as they both walked back into the How, hands locked together.

🖤