Chapter 1

I put the phone back down on the handset quickly trying not the scream in my excitement, I had just got a phone call from the Royal Arts company accepting me from my audition, I was to perform at the Apollo Victoria Theatre. They were performing a new installment of Wicked at West End and I was to be part of it playing Glinda, starting next Monday. I just couldn't contain my excitement, it was hard making a job in acting, I tried to make living in any way I could, a few extra parts, pantomimes that sort of thing but hopefully now with this extra experience I can get more long lasting work. I open up my laptop, looking through my emails first, getting my scripts off an email sent from the company to be looked through before the first rehearsals on Monday. I then went onto Facebook messenger I just needed to tell someone about my good news, and my flatmate was yet to return from her friends 'study' party, they went out to this afternoon so no point waiting for her to return. I clicked on the most recent on the contact I type out my good news to Nathan, an old school friend who lived in Peterborough now, training to be an architect. His reply came back instantly, which was a rarity for him, he was happy for me but advised that I should try and find out who I would be working with, knowing how I can be with new groups of people. I took his advice and googled the theatre, sometimes they put up casting and crew on their website early, long before the show is actually performed. But alas, nothing yet just a 'Coming Soon' page with no official casting list. There was no point dwelling on it now. I yawned, it was getting dark and I was up late the night before not being able to sleep, I closed down the laptop and started getting ready for bed, making some tea, getting changed into pyjamas that sort of thing, hoping I could get some sleep even with all my excitement buzzing inside me. 

As I walked through the London streets I could already feel a slight chill in the air, it was only late August, but summer already seemed to be seeping away, making way for autumn. It gave more a feeling of sadness, I never was really one for cold, windy days or the rust colours of the season. It always brought a sense of guilt and anguish. I took a deep breath trying to calm my thoughts, I shifted my bag from one shoulder to the other. It had been raining the night before so the path and road glistened in the weak, grey sunlight, the clouds gradually getting darker once more. Finally, I see what I have been looking for, a taxi cab, I pick up my pace to a quick jog, aiming for the single taxi cab. 

That's when I notice her.

It was her eyes I noticed first, as we both glanced at each other, her dark, midnight eyes, matching her flowing hair she was beautiful. She was just so cool, wearing black, a crop top ripped skinny jeans and a leather jacket, there was a slight problem though, we were both heading towards the same taxi. I got there just before she did, opening the door and jumping in "Uhh...Margravine road please" The driver nodded and started to pull away from the curb, I look out the window seeing the girl giving me a death glance just as it started to pour with rain.

About 30 minutes later it was still raining when the taxi pulled up to the destination and I was still thinking about that girl, I just felt so bad, jumping ahead to the taxi making her stand in the rain. But I was already running a bit late and if I didn't get this taxi, I really should stop trying to make excuses for myself to myself. I half waled half jogged down the road looking for the studio doors, it being the first time I had ever been to this studio I didn't really know what I was looking for. Eventually, I saw what looked like it could be a studio with double glass doors. Pushing open the door I walked into a large reception area with a woman sitting bored at the desk.  I tried not to trip as I walked over to her "E-Excuse me?" I splutter out, she looks up "Are- is the Royal Arts company umm...rehersing here?" I continue, stumbling over my words. She groaned slightly, having to actually movie clicking away on her computer "Name?" she grumbled "Paige Willis" I answer quietly, looking down at the desk, she types in the name, her acrylic nails clacking against the keys. "Yes, they're expecting you, follow the corridor to the left, through the double doors" she announces after a short search for my name. I nod, murmur my thanks then follow her instructions, down the corridor through the large double doors. The doors open to a large, wooden studio area with mirrors stretching across the far side of the wall. There were tables set up in a large square format with a few people sitting down, talking among themselves, these were to be my fellow cast members I guessed. An older gentleman with greying hair then walked up to me "Ah you must be our Glinda, Paige isn't it?" he asked, he had an American accent, sounding like he belonged more on a Hollywood set than a small budget British one. I nod, smiling shyly, he grinned back at me "Excellent! All we need now is our Elphaba and we're all good to go. Now you go mingle, learn your lines do whatever" he said with a shrug before going back to a conversation with an older woman wearing a bright orange dress, she gave me Madame Morrible vibes. I looked around the room, looking for a glimpse of anyone I might recognise, no luck they were all strangers to me apart from the director and dance choreographer who watched and judge my audition but there was no way I was going to talk them. I awkwardly sit down on my own and take my own script out of my bag, I skimmed through a few of the lines before a young guy with glasses and longish dark blonde hair tied back sat next to me "Hey, I overheard Dunn saying you were Glinda well I'm Fiyero" He smiles at me  "But everyone else calls me Lincoln" he added "I'm Paige" I reply quietly with a weak smile, fiddling with my script on my lap. Lincoln laughs and calls over two other people, introducing them as Zak and Isla, they smile and they all talk to me, explaining a few things that they learned a few minutes ago or from previous shows. I soon felt far more comfortable and less jumpy than before which always helped. There was then a sudden bang as the large double doors slammed open and I felt instantly sick as in stepped a rather drenched girl, the girl I jumped in front of for the taxi. "Ah finally our Elphaba is here" announced the director as I stared agast at her, this was not going to go well.