Chapter 15 | I Can't Control My Mind

Start from the beginning

      "I'm a mechanic," I said simply.

      Sometimes, I forgot it wasn't common knowledge that I worked as a mechanic. The only people at college who knew were Lia, Mikayla and her girlfriend, Yasmine. It was hard for people to understand why a rich girl like me would bother with such a dirty and strenuous part-time job. I knew a lot of people would judge me if they knew just how passionate I was about fixing cars. I expected Julian to feel the same way. Maybe it was ridiculous of me, but I'd rather people didn't know.

      His curious expression turned to one of astonishment. "You? A mechanic?"

      "Do you have a problem with that?" I crossed my arms over my chest, narrowing my eyes at him. The last thing I wanted was for him to make fun of me for doing something I loved. There would be no holding back on punching him this time.

      "No, no. Not at all. That's...amazing. I had no idea." A wide grin slid onto his face. "So, you know a lot about cars?"

      I was momentarily shocked that he sounded so genuine. There was no judgement in his voice whatsoever. "I've been working as a mechanic for a few years, so you'd hope so," I said eventually.

      The astonished look never left his face. "So why can't you fix my car?" he said, gesturing to the smoking engine.

      I breathed out a laugh. "As I said, you only have a spanner. Can't do much with that. Your car needs some serious help."

      "Where do you work?" Julian asked, the question completely genuine that I didn't even mine the sudden onslaught of questions from him.

      "Manny's Mechanics," I told him. I was still a little shocked he was being so cool about this.

      Julian smiled. "I'll bring my car there to get serviced, then."

      "You better. I can't believe you've been driving it around all this time and that you haven't died. It's so dangerous."

      His grin morphed into a smirk. "You almost sound concerned."

      I scoffed, but couldn't help smiling. "Don't flatter yourself, West. I think I'm more concerned about your car than your wellbeing."

      Julian laughed and shook his head.

      "Your grandparents are really nice," I said, changing the subject. "They had some great stories to tell."

      He groaned. "Not again. Will you drop it? I'm not telling you the bee story."

      I laughed, feeling disappointed again. "You suck."

      "No, I'm just being smart. If I tell you that story, you'll never let me live it down."

      I nodded, smirking. "Just like the time you walked into a pole while arguing that you were athletically competent."

      "You are evil," Julian said, narrowing his eyes, the smile still on his lips. "I can't believe you still remember that."

      "How could I forget? You landed in dog poo when you fell. It was probably the best day of my life. We'd only just met that week and I already hated you more than I'd ever hated anyone in my life," I said honestly with a smirk.

      "Likewise. I thought you were the most irritating person I'd ever met," Julian admitted with a smirk of his own.

      "It's not my fault. If you hadn't told me on day one of college that I wouldn't make it as a doctor, I wouldn't have hated you so much," I pointed out.