20 - Always Lock Your Doors

Beverly sighed heavily as she finished pumping the gas into her car. She huddled up in her oversized coat, trying to hide away from the cold wind. She set the nozzle back on the hook, put the cap back on the tank, then walked inside to pay.

She walked to the back of the store and got herself an Arizona iced tea then grabbed a bag of hot Cheetos and walked to the counter to pay for everything. She hummed along to the music playing over the various speakers in the nicely lit ceiling. She set the bag of Cheetos and the can of tea on the counter then fished her wallet free from her pocket.

"Also add forty for gas. Pump three" she nodded toward the register. The employee nodded and smiled at her. He punched the amount in.

"Want a bag?" he asked. She shook her head and slid the amount that it came up to across the counter. He took it and gave her change back to her. "Have a nice day then" she nodded, put the change away, then grabbed her items and walked back out into the night.

She crossed the parking lot to her car then got in and shut her door. She opened the tea, set it in the cup holder, opened her bag of Cheetos, then tossed one in her mouth. She started the car and drove out of the gas station's parking lot to the road. She continued her journey home.

She turned the radio up, nodding her head to the beat and humming the words. Her fingers tapped along with the music on the wheel. She got lost in the music, only in the real world just enough to know her whereabouts. 

Little did she know there was movement in the backseat. It was hidden by the bumps in the roads. The black attire matched the darkness that the night gave. Beverly was too lost to notice the movement just behind her seat. 

She pulled into her driveway, got out, and walked inside. She unlocked the door at a casual pace with no worry in the world. She was still humming the latest song she listened to. She walked inside, kicked the door shut behind her, and walked straight for the kitchen. Her fingers were still red from the hot Cheetos. The tingle still played on her tongue. 

She tossed the bag of Cheetos on the counter, a few falling out onto the surface. She licked her fingers clean, sipped her tea, then opened the fridge to see what was inside. Little to nothing was found. She closed the fridge, grabbed her bag of Cheetos and walked to the living room.

The floor creaked under her feet as she walked. It sounded like an old tune being played by the floor with every step. She sat on the couch and turned the TV on. The volume was just loud enough to cover the creaking from the hall between the living room and kitchen. 

The footsteps walking up behind her were unheard as well. She only noticed something was wrong when black sleeve covered arms wrapped around her. A pale hand covered her mouth. Her eyes widened and she screamed but they were muffled by the flesh over her lips. She quickly twisted away from the hold and threw herself off the couch. She turned to look at the person.

"Richie!?" Beverly glared, her breathing heavy and eyes filled with fear. Richie grinned wide and laughed hard, holding his stomach. He pushed the hood off his head.

"Nice driving by the way. That took you way longer than I thought it would" Richie smirked. Beverly shook her head.

"You were in my car too!?" She stepped forward and hit him square in the chest. "Dick!" Richie just laughed harder. Beverly tolled her eyes but a smile slowly formed to her face once her mind calmed down. "I hate you so much"

"Love you too, Bev!" He grabbed the Arizona tea from the coffee table and poured some in his mouth. Beverly's text tone went off. She took her phone from her pocket and saw that an unknown number had texted her. She raised her eyebrow and opened the message.

A photo popped up on her screen. A picture of Richie scaring Beverly coming right from the hall. Beverly turned toward the hall and noticed the front door open.

"Did you leave that open?" Beverly whispered. Richie shook his head and moved up beside Beverly, his hands trembling.

"I entered the side door, Bev" he whispered back. Beverly gulped and arms wrapped around both of them from behind, a cloth placed over their faces. Both Richie and Beverly passed out.