25 Years Later

25 years later

Margot couldn't believe her parents were making her go back to that torture zone even though the tortures themselves are long gone. But the rain, everywhere, water, rain... mostly mutant turtles... Margot still couldn't believe they had survived the rain, the acid rain spitting and hissing down pulling districts close and not letting it go. She couldn't believe a lot of things. Mostly that they were only one hour from Venus.

Dragging closer and closer, even though she was 34 now she couldn't shake the trauma that ensued there. For one, it sparked her claustrophobia and Pluviophobia. She couldn't even shower these days, she had to bathe. Another things had kept her from wanting to come, the horrible mutant turtles they called her classmates. They had survived out in Venus's toxic and acidic rain even though it should've melted there flesh like it was infested with maggots.

The only thing making her go was the threat of Netflix prohibition by her parents. Even in her supposed late age she relied on her parents for a lot of things. In her head she played through the list of students in her class, trying to remember all of there names. It had been 25 years, and that can wear down on someone. Debbie Devin, Luvinia Taylor, Marshal Tailor, Carolyn Linwood, Cori Christian, Virginia Savege, Joy Randall, Neva Randall, Laurence White, Allyn Appleby, and Bess Terrell. She thought. All 11 of her classmates, packed into a room, smiling awkwardly at one another, wondering who will start idle chatter.

Who will pick up where they left off? Who will pick up from when she ran from the room that wretched day? No one. She saw Venus come into view, clad in grey and blue glory. None of the passengers looked twice at her, she didn't look twice at them. She knew no one around her, and she wanted it to stay that way, but no.

She had to walk to her 4th grade classroom and face her teacher Mrs. Rake and the other students. Had I been given the choice of marrying someone with the last name of Rake or not, I would never have done that to myself. She thought idly to herself. No one would care had she said it aloud. They landed on the cool surface of Venus, and the familiar titter tatter of the rain on the roof above her sang like a death song.

Her death song played as she wobbled down the stair case into the underground part of the city feeling like she was walking towards her death, but perhaps she was, and perhaps the familiar but unpleasant titter tatter of the rain really were playing only for her and her death song. Maybe life was really flashing before her eyes as she stared at the front of her elementary school. If I'm to die, please let it be now. She silently prayed to an unknown source. No answer came, and the rain drops kept pounding against the dirt roof overhead, and the crowds of people kept walking around her and into different buildings.

She shakily put a foot on one of the steps leading up to the big building. Thoughts ran through her head of mutant turtles and closets. She mustered all of her courage and put her other foot on the second step. Breathing in and out, she took another. And another. And another. Her shaky hand managed to grasp the door handle like a lifeline. She pulled it open and the familiar scent of old wet books filled her nose. Nothing had changed save the projects on the wall. She knew exactly where her classroom was, so she started towards it, new found courage pumping through her veins. (probably adrenaline)

The way there was relatively short but the room was on the way. The room with the closet in it where the monsters the teacher called kids locked her. They said they felt guilty and wished it'd never happened, but it did. It did, and there was no changing that. She knew they were lying to, no one was on her side in the school. Not even the teacher cared, all she had said was that she was going back in a year, so why bother? Why bother at all? They were just kids right? They didn't know what they were doing. But they did. Only she truly knew that, they knew that they were depriving her of the one thing she truly needed. The one thing holding her back yet driving her forward. The sun.