She paused by the door. "I can, however, make a suggestion for after," said the queen, almost as an after-thought. She lingered by the door before turning to face her. Cat was not fooled. The queen was toying with her; this she knew. But her words had Cat's hopes helplessly up.

"After?"

"After," the queen repeated with a shrug. "After you wed, you can divorce."

Cat met the queen's bold stare unflinchingly. The queen had offered her exactly what she'd hoped for. But not quite. "When?"

"When what?"

"When can I divorce him? I want it done as soon as possible." The words were cold, ruthless even, but Cat couldn't afford it any other way. She needed the queen to know she meant business. She did not have the time to waste over prolonging the inevitable.

"As soon as you like," the queen murmured with another shrug.

"Why would you have me marry him if you are happy for me to divorce him?" Cat asked finally, her voice cautious.

"I care nothing for Sadiq. He is not my son. But he has an agreement with his father; you must be wed. Break it off after, it matters not." But then the queen narrowed her eyes on Cat, clearly confused. "Why are you here if not to wed with him?"

"I am not here by choice." Cat narrowed her own eyes. "I have family and friends who are worried for me. I need to get back to them. Can we arrange for my divorce the next day? Or is that too soon?"

The queen stared at her, appalled. Then she gave out a shocked laugh. "I would never have guessed it. You both looked positively lovey-dovey earlier. Has something happened? A lover's spat perhaps?" Her false concern was apparent for what it was, but it did nothing to disguise her curiosity.

Cat took offence. "I love him," she declared. "If I were the marrying kind, he would be it for me. I would have had him bound to me for life at the very first opportunity," said Cat seriously. "I would have probably thrown myself prostrate at his feet begging him to marry him. I am that crazy about him," she added, shaking her head ruefully. "But that's not me. It would never work. It would kill me. It would kill him." A bit dramatic perhaps, but Sadiq had a way of sending her overboard over everything. They would kill each other in the end—emotionally. Unhappiness bred unhappiness, after all. And Cat knew she could only be unhappy, bound in marriage.

The queen tilted her head at her consideringly. Her gaze running over her ruffled blond locks before settling on the blue of her gaze. "You are an unusual one, I suppose." She nodded then. "I will talk to the king. Only he can ensure your speedy divorce." Then she narrowed her eyes at her again. "What are your terms?"

"My terms?"

"For the settlement." And on Cat's continued clueless look, she added, "The settlement for your divorce."

Cat reared back aghast. "I..." She paused. Thought it through, then continued. "I would like some clean clothes. They do not have to be new. New underwear though. That would be nice. A ride to the airport," she added pointedly. "And a ticket, economy will do, back to Melbourne on the first flight out. Oh, and I think I may need a passport for that as well." Cat lifted a finger to tap her lower lip consideringly. "I may need you to throw in some pocket money for food and stuff, at the airport." She didn't think she would need anything on landing in Melbourne. Her family were only one random stranger phone call away and then they would be out to fetch her home. She couldn't freaking wait.

The queen's mouth fell open. But she snapped it shut abruptly. "I'll have that put in writing."

Cat merely nodded. "I do have one question before you go," said Cat, as the queen turned to leave once more.

Spice of Love - Completedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें