Annora x Valdemar

Set after 'The Lake'

Annora's P.O.V

   I was basking in the sun, trying to dry off. I felt lucky that it was a hot day and that I could spend it with my friends. My eyes were closed and I was listening to anything unusual.

   After a few minutes I smelt alcohol and smoke, as well as a presence near me.

   I squinted up at Valdemar, glad that he didn't sparkle in the sun.

   "Hey," I smiled.

   He smirked and sat down, handing me a towel.

   "Dry up," he said, looking at the lake. "We don't want your hair to look like a drowned rat, do we?"

   "We do not," I agreed and took the towel drying my hair.

   We sat in silence as I soon heard the talking of our friends, sounding like they were a few minutes walk away.

   "They're setting up camp," Val told me.

   I looked at the sky and realised that it was getting slightly orange. It was still warm and soon it would get cold.

   I looked at Valdemar. "So you don't produce heat?" I asked.

   He chuckled, then took a drink from his flask, slightly disturbing his usual cigarette. "Since I am dead, I do not."

   A cloud passed and the sun shone in my eyes, blinding me from seeing the brighter orange.

   "Mind if I use you as a cooler?" I asked.

   "Go ahead," he shrugged.

   I leaned against him, just sitting happily and watching the sky slowly become a sunset. I was dreading the cold that the night would bring, but at the moment I felt too hot too function.

   As if reading my mind Valdemar spoke. "It's going to be a hot night."

   "How do you know?" I asked sceptically.

   "I just do. I don't have to tell you my secrets yet."

   I yawned. "Okie dokie artichokey."

   He chuckled and wrapped an arm around me, which kept me upright when my eyes closed and I drifted into sleep. The image of the sunset being the last thing I saw. With Valdemar's arm wrapped around me, watching the sunset and feeling warm, it was perfect.

Author's Note

Sorry it's short, I didn't want them to have some big thing that went on for ages, so I just thought, short and sweet.