Chapter 22: Credible Threat

The world reaction after President Trump's visit was mixed. For the protester's against the president, they found it disgusting what he did to the queen, even if they weren't fans of the queen. For his supporters, they found the princess to get out of line with her outfit. For people who didn't care, they continued not to care. With all the news surrounding President Trump, this was going to blow over in a few days. For the news surrounding the royal family, it wasn't that big of a deal.

However, a week after his visit, the princess was pulled out of bed in the morning and brought to Buckingham Palace once again. The private secretaries of Clarence House and Buckingham Palace sat at a table with the queen on one side and Prince Charles on the other. In all honesty, Gwendoline had no idea what she had done wrong here.

"Your highness, apologies for waking you up so early," Buckingham Palace's secretary said clearly, even though it was closer to noon than midnight. "We gained knowledge that there is a credible threat against you."

"What?" Gwendoline hadn't been given coffee, and she craved it.

"A threat was made against your life," Charles said. He had gone eerily silent.

"Someone has shot at you before, Pa. I think I'll be fine," Gwendoline said.

"It's not about being fine, Liney," the queen said. "This is about your safety and the safety of this monarchy. Precautions must be taken now. Your trip to New York City--"

"No. Whatever you are about to say-- no," Gwendoline disagreed. Her fingers dug into her uncomfortable chair she say on, and her knuckles began to turn white. "We had a deal," she warned the high private secretary, and his gaze didn't waver.

"Our deal is still intact, your highness," he calmly stated. "We need to look into the threats."

"Come on," Gwendoline replied. "We all know who the threat is coming from. The people I called 'cunts.' Those are the same people who support dangerous and hateful rhetoric. They are pissed at my earlier statement, and the meeting with Trump was icing on the cake."

"The United States government is looking into it," Buckingham said, "and that is not our only threat, your highness. For a few years now, we have been keeping tabs on people who overly like the monarchy and yourself. One lives outside New York City, and it is possible that he will use any means necessary to get your attention--"

Gwendoline rolled her eyes. "This is complete and utter--"

"Your highness, the tour will need to be changed--"

"Shortened, you mean." Gwendoline shook her head, not believing this was happening. She wasn't the first member of the royal family to be threatened, even if it was credible. Prince Harry was pulled out of Afghanistan because of threats, but that was different because it was a warzone. There was no reason to pull her out here. Both Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth II had been shot at. The queen had even gone on with the rest of the parade.

"Your highness--"

"No," Gwendoline said. "I refuse. I will not be shortening my tour. The tour is already set, and it will go on as planned."

The private secretary nodded. "You will be given a security team until this threat has been dealt with."

Gwendoline glanced over to his notoriously frugal father. Since she had turned eighteen, she had been without a bodyguard unless it was for certain occasions. Sometimes other bodyguards were lent out to her. Now, after five years, she was getting one again. "Really?"

"It's necessary, Liney. You don't have a choice in this matter."

That could've been said a million times, and each time she wanted to disagree. She wanted a choice in this matter. She didn't need a babysitter. Already, there was going to be security for her trip to New York City, but a security team was taking it too far, she thought. It ruined the chances of her seeing the city on her own.

"Gwendoline," Charles cleared his throat, "this is the trade off. Be happy with it."

The princess scoffed, obviously not happy with it. Either way, she agreed, suddenly becoming a prisoner again in the monarchy.

***********************************************************************************************

That night, Gwen called Margo and just automatically started before her girlfriend could ask what was wrong. All that Gwen had built up crashed out, calling this stupid and ridiculous. She exhausted all of her arguments. So much that she went back and started over again with her arguments. Margo kept a calm face and voice the whole time, but when she was given the chance to speak, she was on the other team.

"What?" Gwen demanded.

"Gwen, come on," Margo said. "I love you, and the last thing I want is for you to get hurt. They want to protect you too. This is for your protection."

"No one is going to hurt me. This is all bullshit."

"It's a credible threat, you said."

"Because they said it--"

"And they've been in this business longer," Margo stated clearly. "Listen to them, please. It's a security team, and it's only for a little while. You'll be up, anyway, in three weeks for university to start up again. And no one follows you there."

Gwen knew that too, but it didn't mean she wasn't going to pout about it. Unsurprisingly, she found it easy.

"Anyway," Margo said to her girlfriend, trying to cheer her up, "I found the best new flat for us. It is a little further away from campus, but you can see the ocean, and I know how much you like that. Plus, you only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that gives you the chance to relax a bit more. You can see the ocean from the flat window."

Gwendoline wasn't paying attention very much. "That all sounds very nice."

"I know, doesn't it?" Margo launched into a whole backstory on how she found this flat, and how it started out expensive, but she managed to talk down the landlord, since he was renting to university students. There was something about it being an abandoned building before it was all fixed up--

"That's nice, Go-Go," Gwen said.

"You're not really listening," Margo sighed. "Listen, Gwen, there's nothing you can do about this. This part is out of your control. You got out of them shortening it. Yes, there will be more security--"

"I'm going to feel like a prisoner."

"You'll be in New York nonetheless. Can you get me key chain?"

"Really?" Gwen asked with a snort. "A key chain? I have a bunch of money, and you want a key chain?"

"Yeah, it will go on my new key for this flat," Margo stated. "It will help me, I swear. Maybe then I'll stop losing my keys."

"I don't think it's going to help you as much as you think it will."

"A girl can only hope," Margo stated.