Chapter 2: Typical Princess

She wore jeans and a t-shirt after changing into comfortable clothing when Ms. Markle came over, as the private secretary called her. Tea time struck, and Gwendoline felt her stomach rumbling. She waited for Meghan in one of the corner rooms with white drapes covering the windows. It offered up enough light inside, but it didn't let any passerbys look inside, as if the black gate surrounding the house wasn't large enough.

Gwendoline checked her mobile again for a message, but undoubtedly, Margo was in class, learning about politics and philosophy. She tipped back her head and closed her head, remembering what Margo looked like and what Margo had been--

A knock came to the door, and Gwendoline straightened herself, bringing herself up for good posture. This wasn't the first or formal meeting between the princess and a future duchess, but out of habit, the princess did this. The door opened, and Ms. Meghan Markle came into the room, her dark hair pulled off to the side and a dress fitted to her body. She curtsied to Gwendoline when the princess didn't even get up herself. It was easy to see that Meghan was as nervous as a bird to join the monarchy, much like Catherine Middleton had been, but Gwendoline wasn't the one that she needed to be nervous about.

Meghan waited for the princess to give the go ahead to sit, and the princess did so just to make the future duchess feel more comfortable. A maid came and poured tea for the princess and commoner. Snacks were set out as well. With a curtsy, the maid left, closing the door behind her.

Gwendoline relaxed in the seat, but Meghan didn't. "How are you, your--"

The princess held up her hand. "We've talked about this."

"Liney," Meghan amended. "How did the dress fitting go today?"

"Good. The dress you picked is lovely. I cannot wait to see your wedding dress." While Gwen liked Meghan very much, she didn't care much for weddings and the princess-like things in life.

"Oh, you should. It's coming in soon. When will you be home next?"

"Probably a few weeks before the wedding, I would think, just to make sure everything is in place."

"You should come to Kensington to take a look."

Gwen smirked. "You're keeping it at Kensington?"

Meghan bit her bottom lip. "Is that a bad thing?"

"Harry always used to go hunting for his Christmas and birthday presents-- always knew what he was getting beforehand. I had to learn to hide the presents well."

"Where did you hide them?"

"In my bra drawer, but I don't think that will work for you." She laughed, and Meghan joined in as well. Gwendoline took a sip of her tea, pretending like the taste. Since she had been away, she had gotten used to bitter coffee, and now the tea didn't taste quite right. Margo always made coffee for her long nights of essays. Gwendoline was used to the taste. "How is the rest of the wedding planning?"

"Oh, it's wonderful. Harry is being so helpful. He has all these great ideas."

"Are they that great?"

Meghan laughed again. "You two banter a lot."

"Well, I mean, he tries, but one of us knows more words."

The future duchess couldn't deny that. On the first meeting with Princess Gwendoline, Meghan Markle figured out quickly how intelligent the princess was. She had been writing personal notes to well wishers for her birthday, and it just happened to be in twenty languages. "What are you doing while you are home?"

"Well, there is a movie premiere." Usually Harry attended those, but he had busy with all the wedding planning. It had fallen onto Gwendoline's shoulders, and she didn't mind the extra attention. "I will be out with Charles and Camilla tomorrow. We have an event in just outside of London, and I have a birthday party tomorrow at a club."

"You don't sound excited for that last one," Meghan said innocently.

Gwen sipped her tea. "This boy has been hitting on me since I was five years old. I don't care if his father's a duke; I'm a princess. His father is in parliament, and we must keep them happy. So I'll go to the party, drink a bit, flirt a bit and then exit quickly."

Meghan nodded. "You're not a typical princess."

"I'm one of the only princesses you know. None of us are typical."