Chapter Thirty Eight

All Michael can think of doing is going to get Lockhart, "Maybe Lockhart can explain this."

He tries to reassure Paige, "It could still just be the drugs."

Paige nods as she's trying to calm down and Michael runs out to find Lockhart.

He pushes past his family ignoring their questions and looks around in the rooms.

He finally finds Lockhart, "Hey, Paige is saying she can't feel her leg! She can't move it either. Come on!"

Lockhart seems confused but he follows Michael to the room.

He asks Paige, "What's wrong with your leg?"

She looks at him with a sarcastic face, "Shouldn't I be asking you that? I can't feel it and I can't move it! Is it the drugs?"

Paige hopes that Lockhart says it's the drugs, but she can tells it's more than just numb.

He shakes his head, "No, the drugs have worn off."

Lockhart scratches his head knowing this can't be good, "From the accident report I received it looks like you could've been hit in the lower left side of your back, leaving you unable to feel or move your left leg."

Paige looks at Michael desperately and he turns to Lockhart, "What does that mean? It can get better right?!"

Lockhart looks at Paige with sympathy, "I don't know. On one hand, it can be just the nerves and it can improve in physical therapy until you're back to normal."

Michael persists, "And the other hand?"

Lockhart sighs as he looks at Michael, "On the other hand, she could have been struck in the back hard, leaving her left hip and leg paralyzed, and maybe even her right leg eventually."