I ignored the man, my mind whirling as Declan stopped the whip with his forearm. "He's an idiot."

"Tell me about it," McTaggart responded.

The words I couldn't hear but the fear the white man felt was nearly tangible. Declan negated both pistol and whip from his grasp, the man trembling before stripping from his fur coat. I chuckled as he stood there glaring, the men rushing away.

"Bloody idiot," I rolled my eyes, turning from the window. "Move," I shooed the man away, stepping up to examine the whip markings. I cleaned them as best I could. "Luckily they don't look too deep. Most are flesh wounds because your shirt caught the most of the force."

"I'll consider myself lucky then, ma'am."

"Oh, please," I smiled. "None of that, we're all equals here. Well, all us save for McTaggart over there," I winked, making him chuckle. I continued to clean as Declan came in, presenting the coat to the man.

Once done, I stepped away after helping him into the warmth. McTaggart gave him food and ale, letting him eat to his hearts content. My own heart felt heavy for him, shaking myself as I took my place near Declan. "Fill your boots, son, you're at your Aunties," McTaggart spoke, refilling his stew as Declan yanked me into his lap. "And there's some good brandy-" He slapped away Declan's hand as he went to reach for the dark liquor. "Not you, you numpty arsehole you've cost me enough already." I couldn't help but laugh. "You can stop over tonight, but that's your lot!"

"I like him. He tells you off," I grinned, making Declan smile at me as he chuckled some.

"I like ye too lass-" McTaggart was cut off by the echo of a gunshot. I furrowed my brows as we all looked up in alarm.

"Declan Harp," A voice called, my hands tightening on his arms that held me anchored to his lap. "Surrender yourself!"

I watched as McTaggart turned and smiled a bit, Declan heaving a sigh. I looked down at him when his fingers rubbed my hip. "Watch out, love. Lemme handle this." I stood from his lap, letting him stand as his hand lingered on my hip for a moment as he stepped away. I frowned, following as McTaggert grabbed a loaded gun and headed to the outlook window.

I waited behind them still out of sight, knowing already Declan wouldn't like me being noticeable. "Well? How many do you think?"

"Six. And the Virginian." That must have been the white man, this 'Virginian'. What was he doing so far North? Into this territory?

"I knew it. As soon as I saw you sitting in that corner, I knew trouble would follow, sure as there's shit in a cat."

"Strange analogy," I rolled my eyes, making McTaggart grin and shrug at me.

"There's no escaping, Mr. Harp!" An official called once more. "We have vantage and we have numbers!"

"Then come on in," Declan spoke to himself before turning from the window.

"Come out peacefully and I'll see you're not harmed!" The man continued. Declan took my hand in his, leading me to follow as the man continued to speak. "Come out, Mr. Harp, or we'll burn the place down."

I heard from the back McTaggart call out, "Aye! That'll be right!"

I scoffed, shaking my head and taking a seat on the table top as I could no longer hear what they were saying outside. My eyes were trained on Declan as he neared me now and stood between my legs, hands on my hips. He pressed a kiss to my lips. "Remember, stay hidden."

"I have your back from in here."

"I know you do," he whispered, kissing me once more before stepping away and heading to the weapons McTaggart had brought out earlier.