Finally, we rested with his back to the fire, my back to him, and his arm wrapped securely around my waist as we both faced the leather of the tent's insulation. I tried not to think too hard over being pressed into his front, his arm heavy but not suffocating.

"Is this okay?" he asked, mouth so close to me that I felt a shiver as his mustache tickled my ear.

"Y-Yes," I trembled. I cleared my throat, readjusting my body just an inch. Already I was warm; not sweltering but cozy and content. This was so much better than lying on the ground, lumps and bumps under me as the icy coldness from the Earth penetrated my skin.

"You sure?" Our voices weren't above a whisper, allowing us to communicate without waking Enut and Little Fish.

"Course," I agreed. "Perfectly fine. Are you okay?"

"Never have I felt so at peace," he spoke and I could hear the rawness in it. I frowned, looking at him from over my shoulder. His eyes were shining into my own, allowing his vulnerability to show. "Thank you."

"For?" I blinked, his hand splayed over the curve of my hip. Even through the layers I had on, it still burned my flesh.

He offered a small smile. "For accepting me. For caring for me, for being patient. For allowing me to recover at my own pace..." He trailed off, eyes dancing between mine as he seemingly held his tongue.

"And..?" I goaded, truly wanting to know what it was he needed to say.

"And," he relented, sighing just a hint. "For showing me love and compassion. For making me feel like I was family, like I was worth something, like.. like I'm actually wanted here."

"I'd not want you elsewhere," I confessed so easily, I was shocked myself. I felt my eyes widen a bit, looking torn suddenly.

"I'd not want to be anywhere else," he admitted. "Thank you for showing me love again."

"Declan," I whispered, his hand turning me more so I faced him entirely, laying on my side as he did the same. His face was so close to mine, we breathed the same air. And I allowed myself a blissful moment to enjoy the scent of him to infiltrate my nose.

"Meera," he matched. "I didn't know I'd find you or someone so worth loving after.."

I knew what he was referring to. Not long after I had told him of my mother and father, he told me about him. All of him. He is the Declan Harp, his wife and son and apparently unborn child murdered by a Lord Benton, his hell-bent desire to seek revenge, all the murders, all the furs and trades. All of it. So to hear him just confess, my heart broke and filled with elation all at the same time.

"I-I never thought I'd ever meet someone...not here. Nor if I ever returned. I was content knowing I was alone. But now?" I paused, tears brimming my eyes. He reached forward, hand cupping my cheek. "Declan, I don't want to know what life is like without you in it. I don't want to feel alone again.."

"You won't," he swore. "So long as I am here, you are not alone. And if the day comes I need to leave.... Meera, come with me."

I looked at him in astonishment. "You'd want me to go with you?"

"I do not want to leave you," he shook his head, smiling. "I am so drawn to you I don't think I ever could leave. Not unless you wanted to or I absolutely needed to."

I smiled in return. It was a lot of confessions, nothing but sweetness between us now. I was unsure why we felt the way we did but from the start, there was something. We moved differently yet so in sync. Never stepping on the other's toes yet always teaching and learning from the other. It was a partnership, a friendship, and now, we established we felt deeply for one another. It was rather....blissful. I knew all good things came to an end but yet this moment stretched for eternity.