dead reckoning

Começar do início

He staggered wildly before I caught him. Securing an arm around his waist, tighter than irons, I let him regain his equilibrium. He locked onto me as well, standing on his feet but still swaying. "He's big," Little Fish mentioned.

"Everyone's big to you," I winked. "Now, turn. Lead the way." She stared at the man blankly before turning and waddling her short self up the embankments, hills, rocks, and dreaded snow. I sighed as I readjusted my grip on the man. "Ready?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he grunted. His words were starting to slur together and I knew he was fighting to survive. To stay conscious.

"Let's go then, as quick as we can. If you pass out on me, I'm afraid I won't be much help," I chuckled. I saw his lips twitch from under the long hair he kept around his face and mouth. We took our first step, his arm locked around my shoulder, body depending on mine as my arm was like a vice around his waist. I spoke encouragingly to him as we walked, stomping in the snow as I wanted to get him to safety as quick as possible. "Don't even have a coat on, that's just barbaric, sir. Its like you were trying to die. Come on now, watch your step. Mh, you've a lot of blood on your clothes. God I hope its yours and I'm not inviting a murderer into this nice home."

His head bobbed but legs continued to pump. I was heaving for breath, this man was mammoth in size and I was but smaller than he in all ways possible. When we neared the tent, I was sighing in relief. He let me lug him in before he dropped onto the fur-lined bed. We only had 2; one for me and Little Fish and one for Enut. He cared for us but as I was much older now than when I first came, I helped provide.

I hunted mostly, teaching Little Fish to sew, skin, cook. Enut is her uncle, their gruesome story of how they came together wrecking my heart. Now as this man was to remain here until healthy, I'd have Fish sleep with her uncle. I'd watch over this man. This large, attractive, and now unconscious man.

I had Little Fish assist me, fetching water, bringing me clothes, and the few salutes we had. I worked hard, seeing this man had more open wounds than I'd like to have seen. He was a mess and it was obvious he was not well liked. Or at least he was well wanted. By the bruising on his neck, I'd say he'd narrowly escaped death on one too many occasions.

When I had done all I could, I sat back. There was only so much I could do, now his body had to take over and heal him the rest of the way. He'd need sleep but I couldn't wrap him up in the furs yet. The fever he had caught must work it's way out and he'd need to remain cool if he wanted to be comfortable.

I frowned when Enut entered the tent. He had no issue with helping the man, understanding why I needed and wanted to help. He brought in a fish, dropping down to clean and shave it a bit. "Make sure he eats," I commented, seeing him stirring awake. He was grunting and shivering in his sleep, his eyes popping wide open. "He needs his strength. I'm going to go wash my hands of his blood."

Upon returning to the tent some time later, I saw the man grimacing in pain. I frowned a bit, Little Fish and Enut going about their usual business. "I fed him, sister," Fish informed me.

"Good," I nodded, shedding my large, outside coat to reveal other pelts that I had belted to my body. I dropped myself down, nudging closer to the fire. "He ate?"

"He did," Enut nodded. "I do not think we have enough for us four now."

"I shall hunt tomorrow, sun's going down," I informed. He nodded, looking away as I felt a pair of eyes staring right at me. Looking up, I met the man's stare. "What's your name?"

"You speak English?" He asked, stunned a bit.

"It is my native tongue, yes. What is your name?" I repeated.