Ten

Ten

 "And to sum up this evening's meeting, I would just like to remind everyone again about the business festivities tonight. We hope to see you all there with any plus-ones you bring with you, besides children since there will be plenty of alcohol and probably boredom for them." My boss added with a light chuckle, which didn't receive that much of a response from anyone else so he cleared his throat and told us all that we could leave and have safe travels back home.

I had forgotten about the dinner party, which I invited Niall to accompany me to so I wondered if he might have forgotten about it as well. There is no blame on anyone because Grace has pretty much been the only thing on our minds. We were now so close to, maybe, having a chance to actually meet the little girl that I had read about and instantly wanted to know everything about. I still just want everything to go smoothly, as well as in our favor.

This get-together for work could actually be a good time for Niall and I. Not only does this night of festivities give us time to not think about Grace and hearing our hopeful final answer, but it will also let us be happy and have a night out together. Granted, this night will be shared with the people I work with but it will be a good distraction from our most recent argument.

It was the first one we really had in a while and it happened just after we arrived back to ours after the interview. During the entire ride home we were silent and it was a different kind of silence than the one we shared on the car journey to the interview.

I was still a bit in shock about Niall asking Louis and Zayn if they had anything against gay couples. To me, the interview was going fantastic until he decided to blurt out something that was so strong and controversial. I noticed the expressions on their faces and that made me feel defeated. I thought that we had just lost any chance of getting to help and be apart of Grace's life. I wish Niall had never said it.

It had to be obvious that we were a gay couple because multiple times we've introduced one another as each others partner.

The worst part of our argument, to me, was the fact Niall called me out on being the dictator over everything that has to do with our decision. I was the one controlling the emails and telling Niall the information that I received. I was the one who shot him down in disgrace after he asked Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik about our sexual orientation and if it affected our chances.

I've done my best to think about Niall and  to make sure that Niall was just as informed on things as  I was. I just wanted everything to go perfectly for us and I guess I had put the blame onto Niall in case something went wrong. What I really believe is that we're both just getting more and more stressed out with all kinds of things and only have each other to lose our tempers with. 

I hope we will be able to have a night to relax and enjoy ourselves at this business party.  

Then there's the part of me that is stuck thinking about whether or not I should share the story and our news about Grace with my co-workers and boss.  

I was now in my office, packing up my things for the day so I could get home. Before I actually left the building I would call Niall to remind him about tonight, hopefully acting like I hadn't forgotten about it myself when I brought it up. I'm sure he would see right through that but I always had a good time in trying. 

After leaving my office with my work bag I made my way over to the lift. 

"See you tonight, Harry." Edwin from our accounting branch told me as I walked past his own office. Since I was in a bit of a hurry I gave him a small wave so he didn't think I was ignoring him. 

I waited until I was out of the lift to give Niall the phone call. 

"Hey, Niall, I'm just leaving the office now." I said as I held my phone to my ear and looked around to make sure that I didn't run into anyone or anything as I hurried my way through the rest of the building to leave. I knew by the time I arrived home I would barely have any time to get ready for the party. I would probably just put on a clean shirt and keep my pants that I wore to work on.