Chapter 2 - You Again

Start from the beginning

Alpha Nathaniel, it is a pleasure.

I said crisply, locating in on his ‘station’, a rather easy feat as it used to be mine. He stood, his head raised high and his jaw set.

Alpha Blanc-Lupe, the pleasure is mine, great White Wolf. I’m sorry to seem abrupt but have I met you before?

His thoughts entered my mind, his voice like thick honey, deep. My mind raced, he was supposed to be my Alpha. Did I tell him it was me?

He hurt us. Our Mate hurt us!

an familiar voice entered my mind but there were no other wolves around. It was in my head, great, I’m hearing things now. It took me a minute to realize it had been a part of me that I had been missing, my inner wolf. I let out a low growl.

He isn’t our mate, shut up.

Alpha Tasha, I’m hungry, can we get this over with?

Seth’s voice entered the frequency that Nathaniel and I were on and as soon as Seth’s mind said my name Nathaniel’s shocking green eyes flew open.

Natasha Lupe?

his voice was steely and shocked, no emotion entering it other than the fact he was very clearly at a loss for words.

Yes Nathaniel. Natasha Lupe, the girl you exiled, now the one you ask for help.

I thought harshly, anger flooding my tense body. My muscles coiled on their own accord, prepared for him to hurt me again although I knew he wouldn’t. His muscles slackened and his stance grew softer, although he still stood tall. I felt a low growl vibrate in my chest, how dare he slacken his posture near me. Was I not a threat? Of course I wasn’t I never had been to him. It hurt, to feel weak but I didn’t let it show, ever. I stood tall and looked at him with blank eyes. Seth and Alec came up to flank me, both of them sensing the tension in the air.

What’s going on Tash? Who is this guy? – Seth

Hey Tash, this the Alpha? – Alec

Tasha, you okay? You look on edge. – Luna

The voices in my pack asked several questions, most of them asking what was going on. Nathaniel, currently in tune with us, just listened calmly.

This is Alpha Nathaniel and I am always on edge.

I thought to them pointedly, they chorused their understanding as one, all thinking the same thing, alright, sounds good. They all came up behind me, not passing me and not raising their heads above mine, putting on an obedient face for the rival Alpha, to them that’s all he was, an Alpha, and like with all Alpha’s when meeting each other we tried to prove we were better Alpha’s, making our pack look better than it usually was. My pack understood this custom and usually put on a very good act for me, for which I was grateful.

Very well. Your brother is about half a mile down the mountain waiting for me. We will meet with him before heading to the Pack house.

Nathaniel’s thoughts were stiff and controlled but there was a spark in them, like he was almost glad to see me. That was a thought because I refused to be glad to see him. I wouldn’t be.

Alright. C’mon, stay in formation, there has been a Hybrid here in the last week, I can smell it.

I spoke to my pack but I knew Nathaniel was listening, his green eyes sparkling. No, snap out of it Tasha. I shook my head and flicked my ears, listening for any possible threat. Luna came up to stand beside me, her small frame held stiff in front of the nearly White Alpha. At least I wouldn’t have to slow down for him, being an Alpha and nearly fully White he would be able to keep up with me, maybe even win because he would have his inner wolf and his Mate making him ‘whole’. I nodded to my pack and we took off, Nathaniel running beside me, easily keeping up with my quick pace, I wasn’t sprinting, I would be too fast for my pack if I did. Seth ran up beside me, staying slightly behind as to not appear like a challenger. I smiled to myself, I had a good pack, a smart pack. The sun was quickly setting and as we weaved expertly through the thick trees, moving as one, Nathaniel too, moving like he was a part of the pack, like a wave we flowed and he was moving with us. It’s really rather amazing because most wolves we had met moved on their own.

We neared a big dark grey wolf, again, like Nathaniel uncommonly large even by wolf standards. He had warm brown eyes that had a pained look in them, he stood tall though.

Blake, this is Alpha Natasha Blanc-Lupe, she will be the one to help with the Hybrid

Nathaniel spoke, his Alpha voice ringing out. Blake looked right at me, his eyes widened.

Natty? That you?

His voice was stiff and strong but I could hear the desperation, I scoffed internally, angry that he now decided I was worth his eyes. I took a step back, not out of fright but showing him I wasn’t his sister anymore, it was harsh and I didn’t want to but I couldn’t help myself, it would hurt even more when I left again.

Yes Blake.

It was all I said, it was all I could say. I mean what was I supposed to say? ‘oh hey Blake, long time, hows it going?’ yeah right, no thank you. Visions of Blake’s steely face as I lay crumpled on the ground entered my mind. Forgiveness wasn’t a strong trait of mine, never had been. And now, here I was, in front of my brother waiting to be lead to their pack house to help save them from a Hybrid. Yep, I was a bloody amazing person, helping them after all that they did.

Follow us, or well, you know where it is anyway.

Nathaniel’s mental voice was deep and stiff, stressed as he broke the staring contest between myself and Blake.

Is that your brother or something?

Luna spoke to only me as we started running again, myself and Nathan in front again, Seth and Blake picking up our flanks, all of us moving as one, although Blake was about a half beat off the rest of us. Nathaniel was neck in neck with my the entire time, Seth and Blake only a couple inches behind us. Luna and Alec ran right behind Seth, the rest of my pack weaving around behind us, from above we likely looked like an egg shape, running in sync with each other.

Yes, that is my brother.

I said this to only Luna, not wanting everybody to know just yet. Then again as soon as my mum saw me it wouldn’t be a secret. Mum was always very, err, motherly.

Something, I don’t know, Tash, something is different about him. It’s weird.

Luna’s voice sounded frightened, it wavered and her soft angelic tone seemed cracked. What about Blake could scare Luna? She wasn’t easily frightened, none of my pack were.

Nathaniel’s PoV

When I saw her I was shocked, not because she was a White Wolf, not because she was Alpha, something even bigger than that, I had already known the Alpha of the Blanc-Lupe pack was a White female. No, what surprised me was that it was Atty, Natasha. I never expected to see her again, after my father made me exile her, after my father made me bully her just because he sensed something off about her. I never thought in my life she would come back, I should have known better, of course she would. It was Natasha, she would come back just to prove to us we missed out, it was just something she would do. When we were kids and still friends if ever Blake or I said ‘you can’t do that, you’re a girl’ or something like that, usually to do with strength or speed, she would not only do it but she would excel at it. After a while Blake and I stopped underestimating her, tired of losing bet after bet.

Her icy blue-grey eyes bore into mine filled with hate, but I couldn’t hate her. After all, how could I hate my Mate? I knew that’s what she was. Male wolves always KNEW, as soon as we saw our Mates we KNEW, the female wolves only knew when we shared a first kiss.

I couldn’t stand the hate in her eyes. I couldn’t stand that I hurt her.

I think I always knew, even before I turned, back when we were kids I knew she was different. And not just because she was a White Wolf.