Smiling (Gilderoy Lockhart)

As a young teenager, Gilderoy Lockhart was a cocky and fame obsessed student. As an adult, he wasn't much different. Gilderoy grew up with a witch mother, a Muggle father and two Muggle siblings. He didn't know that Mrs. Lockhart was a witch so when he received his Hogwarts acceptance letter, naturally he was very confused. And so after Gilderoy's mother explained his magical abilities, he thought he was the greatest thing that had ever walked the Earth.

But those thoughts were soon shut down as he entered Hogwarts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Young Gilderoy Lockhart boarded the Hogwarts Express on September 1st for his first year at Hogwarts feeling excited to impress his classmates with his magical talents and charm. Glancing around at all the students and all the compartments to choose from, his game fixated on a closed compartment door. Through the glass he could see a couple older students laughing together, two of them bearing prefects  badges.

Gilderoy watched as the two prefects left the compartment and he made his way to it. Sliding open the glass door, the remaining three students abandoned their conversation and welcomed the first year. Gilderoy wore a smug look on his face whilst internally congratulating himself on impressing the older students so quickly. A dark haired boy with glasses asked Gilderoy about himself and introduced him to his two friends with him, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew.

"Are you excited to be at Hogwarts?" Peter asked him.

Gilderoy responded enthusiastically, "Oh of course! I can't wait to start classes, I know that I will be the best." Sirius and James exchanged looks and Sirius thumped him on the back.

"Now you are going to need to calm your ego way down, Blondie. See, the staff can only handle James and I's egos. How about you go and talk with some of the other first years." Sirius stood and guided Gilderoy to the door and slid it open. Peter waves kindly and said, "It was nice meeting you, goodbye!"

The young Lockhart strode over to another compartment and joined the first years in there, bringing out his wand and attempting to wow them. Sadly, the wand didn't do the trick seeing as the others had gotten wands as well and the other eleven years old gossiped about Quidditch, leaving Gilderoy feeling lost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple hours later, the Hogwarts Express arrived at the marvelous school of wizardry and all the students got off of the train. In the boats on the way across the lake, Gilderoy ended up falling in and getting rescued by the giant squid.

Although by the time the line for the Sorting had formed, he was telling anyone who would listen about how he jumped in to save a fellow first year. Professor McGonagall finally made him hush when she started calling names for the Sorting.

After "Laney, Trixie," was sorted into Hufflepuff, the call came for him.

"Lockhart, Gilderoy," Professor McGonagall announced and waited for the blonde to walk out after smoothing his hair down. As he walked out he waved to the hall of students, encouraging applause that no one gave. The professor placed the old hat upon his head and Gilderoy winced internally, imagining dust and pieces of cloth rubbing off the hat and into his hair. He was so preoccupied with his hair that he almost missed the Hat calling out "Ravenclaw," and a table of students hesitantly clapping, obviously being confused on how this arrogant first year has been sorted into Ravenclaw.

McGonagall continued finally ending with "Villa, Brooke," being sorted into Slytherin . Gilderoy quickly pulled out a compact mirror and brushed off hus haur and checked his smile. Dumbledore started speaking, but he completely tuned him out while glancing around the Ravenclaw table for James, Sirius, and Peter; but instead finding them at the Gryffindor table with a tired looking brown haired boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gilderoy finished the feast that night, and went up to the dorm. His head entered dreamland as soon as his head hit the pillow, with his stomach full of food and his mind full of ideas.