"Hey," Ashton greets us, offering Mel a kiss on the cheek. Axel does the same to Gen, who smiles up at him. I awkwardly stand off to the side and bob my head at each of the additions to our group.

"How goes it?" Ashton asks me with a smile. I feel a little confused. Why is he smiling at me like I didn't catapult a knife into Cam's heart just two weeks ago? Judging by the half-smile on Mel's face, I can tell that she probably told the guys to treat me as if nothing happened. Deciding not to mess anything up, I nod slowly.

"It's been going," I reply as I rub my hands along my jeans, "uh, studying a lot- you know, midterms."

"Yeah, tell me about it," Axel groans with a shake of his head.

"Can we not talk about school? It's supposed to be a good night," Gen acknowledges as she looks between the four of us. I suddenly question why I even bothered to show up. I'm fifth wheeling. There's no fun to be had here tonight, at least not for me. I don't even want to talk to anyone. I'm going to be stuck sitting here listening to them flirt with each other and occasionally make awkward conversation with me when the remember that I'm still here. Maybe I can just slip away and leave. I'll text Mel a lie that I forgot about an assignment I have due on Monday.

"I'm going to go find the bathroom," I announce to no one in particular before pushing past a couple of people. Thankfully this party isn't disgustingly crowded; there's still room to breathe and move around. I somehow manage to get outside and I approach the sidewalk, shaking the discomfort from my system. As I take my phone from my pocket to call for a ride, I hear a familiar voice. My head snaps up immediately and I find Cam two cars away, leaning against the side of his vehicle. A girl stands on the sidewalk with an interested smile on her face and Cam nods at whatever she's saying. I feel my heart drop to my stomach as I assess him once, twice, and then again. He's not dressed up for a party. He's wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt but he still pulls it off, which isn't a surprise.

"Are you coming in?" I hear the girl ask as I watch them intensely, trying to read the situation. I know it's not my business and I have no right to be mad or jealous but I just want to know.

"No, I was just dropping my friends off," he explains himself as he shifts on his feet a little. I notice that his car is still running and that he has a fast food drink in his loose grip.

"Oh..." the girl responds and I can already tell what she's going to say next. "That's a bummer. It'd have been cool to hang out with you."

A car drives past and I miss Cam's response but I watch as she approaches him and they exchange phones. I stare at the girl as she types on Cameron's phone, probably making a contact for herself. Her long blonde hair falls to her mid back and she brushes it out of her face every so often. Even from far away, I can tell that she's pretty. Her side profile tells me enough to know that she's good looking.

"Just text me," she says as she slowly starts to back away with a grin on her face.

"I will," Cam confirms with a nod. I can see his familiar half smile from here and I feel my stomach tighten even more. Again, I know I have no right but I can't help but feel hurt. She turns and heads towards the house and he watches her for a second before glancing down at his phone.

I expect him to get in his car and head out so when he steps onto the sidewalk and turns in my direction, I automatically freeze. In a matter of seconds, I realize that I'm standing right beside the trash can, which is where he intends on disposing of his drink. He spots me just as I make that realization and he stutter-steps, as if genuinely surprised to see me here. I don't allow myself to take the time to read his expression and figure out whether or not he's relieved to see me, angry, annoyed, or anything else. I robotically back up, turn around, and head down the street.