Hide away

-Hide Away-

It wasn't often that something ruffled Danny's figurative feathers. Not since he left home shortly after high school in hopes to hide his unusual self and his friends from the prying eyes of his mom and dad.

But their next door neighbor in the well off apartment complex they lived in was pretty darn close to ruffling his, Sam, and even Tucker's feathers. The crotchety old man seemed to have something against all three of them. Sam wasn't lady-like, Tucker was wasting his time with those technological do-dads, and Danny was the bane of his existence. An easy target to insult today's youth because he didn't fight back or argue. If Danny's parents taught him and his sister anything, it was that he should respect his elders…no matter how much they inspire him to bash his head into a wall over and over at the sound of the cane their neighbor beat against his wall on the flip side of their living room wall because they were making too much noise.

So when the day came that the man who owned the apartments, an old friend of his parents called Vlad Masters and who understood his circumstances more than Danny really wanted to admit, informed the three friends and roommates that their neighbor would be moving out by the end of the month to live with their son it was such a happy occasion. Sam, the oldest who turned twenty-one first out of the three bought a bottle of alcohol and the three celebrated until they woke up the next morning, surprisingly without hangovers. But Tucker just assumed it was because of their 'special' circumstance.

It was a nice, peaceful few weeks. And then Sam came trudging in after a morning shift at the book store and flopped down on the couch as Danny cracked open one eye from where he sat on the living room floor. The carpet coated with a thin layer of un-melting frost that felt as good to him as a fall breeze.

His usually vivid blue eyes glowed a bright green.

He sent a questioning hum her way as the young woman unzipped her heavy steel toe boots. She peered down at him with a raised eye brow at the icy landscape the young man was making of their living room floor.

"So, apparently we're getting a new neighbor." She informed. That made Danny's bright green eyes open in surprise. The already bright room not hiding the odd glow present in his eyes.

"What? When, and is it another old guy?" he asked, standing up and watched the ice receded into nothing at his command.

"In a couple weeks apparently. He's around our age too so maybe we'll get along, who knows?" she shrugged. Sitting back, the woman sighed and pulled her feet up into Danny's lap who kindly let them stay there. He opened up the curtains that uncovered a window facing the outside hall and let in some sunlight.

He would admit to it being nice to have a neighbor more close to their age, yet at the same time, he was unwilling to have the peace of having no people living on either side of the three. They lived on the corner of the fifth floor of the well off complex they could only really afford because a large chunk was paid for by Sam, whose grandmother left her everything and all her assets when she passed when she was nineteen. They lived comfortably now because one way or another, with how each of them acted back in their home town, Danny was sure Sam's grandmother had figured out what happened to them in their supernaturally inclined town. Not that it was all that easy to hide. All three of them had a hard time adjusting, each cursed, or gifted if that's how you see it, with their own set of powers that labeled them as strange, other worldly creatures.

It wasn't always like this. Hiding super powers—as Tuck affectionately called them—from their parents and community regularly plagued my haunting, curses, or other supernatural threats due to in no small part to the giant fucking portal to another dimension in his parents basement laboratory. Hoping day in and day out his mom and dad didn't pick up on their slip ups and demand an explanation, or the right to perform experiments as they please.