Chapter 20

Another awesome song ♥

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Athena's POV

He was..Strange.

The way he looked at me, it wasn't like any other man id ever met. Instead of holding arrogance, his eyes held a certain kindness. A kindness i wasnt used to. And if i wasnt mistaken there was something hidden in those eyes; nerves.

I fiddled with my thumbs as i wandered the large room i had been given. Stopping to glance out the wide window to watch the sunset, the orange and yellow hues spreading across the vast land. The view was utterly enchanting.

I sat down on a nearby armchair and rested my head in my hands. My brain was churning with all these different thoughts. But for once, my heart was silent.

I didnt miss him. Was that strange? I found it so hard to leave him and yet now, only days later i felt nothing, absolutely nothing. I was worried. I thought i had feelings for him, but now i was questioning everything id ever felt.

I tried to picture all the things we'd done together, all the moment we'd shared. But i couldn't. It was all slipping from my mind and i couldnt stop it.

I felt myself begin hyperventilating. What was wrong with me? Was i this heartless cold bitch? Why can i not feel anything?

There was a knock at the door.

I grasped the sheets for a few moments before catching my breath as i shakily stood and made my way to the mahogany door.

I opened it hesitantly, my hands shaking, to see a small woman dressed in plain clothing with her hair pinned back holding a bundle of fabric in her hands.

I give her a once over as she refuses to look me in the eye.

"Hello?" i asked her, my eyebrows scrunched together.

"His highness asked me to bring you fresh clothing, m'lady," she spoke timidly. Handing me the bundle quickly before scuttling down the hall before i even had the chance to thank her.

When she's out of sight, i shut the door and lay the clothes out on the now crumpled bed sheet. It was a simple outfit; just a pair of lightwash jeans and grey sweater.

Upon looking at the freshly cleaned clothes i realised not only was i wearing dirty, dungeon dusted clothes, but i smelt like id taken a bath in skunk spray. Gagging, i picked up the jeans and sweater and walked into the attached bathroom located in the lefthand corner of the room.

Once id turned the shower on, i peeled off the skunky clothes i was wearing and took a second to look at myself in the sinks mirror.

I looked like shit. Complete and utter shit.

Bruises and scratches alined every other inch of my body. I had dirt underneath my finger nails and my hair was matted with mud and tangled. Sighing, i quickly splashed some sink water onto my face and hopped into the steaming shower.

Hours later my skin was pruning but i was finally clean. I toweled myself off before slipping into the fresh clothes id been given.

I gave the bathroom a quick clean, then i walked back into the bedroom barefoot in search of a pair of socks.

Only after a few minutes of scrounging the wardrobe did i come across some black socks. I gave a triumphant grin as i slipped them on, grabbing my shoes and doing the same.

As i wae tying the laces i went over my plan. I was going to have dinner with this new odd king and try to convince him to let me stay just a week or so, before i figure out what the hell im going to do.

All i have to do is be calm, be friendly and hope for the best. Who knows, if im nice enough he may even help me get out of the underworld.

I just need to find a portal to the other realm and i should be peachy.

Once i was completely dressed and my shoes were laced, i claimed a hairbrush that sat on the vanity and focused on brushing out the tangles my hair had obtained over the past few days.

Moments later i was layed out on the floor wincing in pain as i tugged and tugged to no avail.

I was about to let out a frustrated yell when i heard another soft knock at the door. Jumping to my feet, i tossed the death brush aside and smoothed down my sweater, making sure i was presentable before gripping the doornob and opening the door.

It was the same maid from earlier. This time she looked flustered as she again avoided eye contact with me.

I was about to speak but she interrupted me.

"Dinner is about to be served m'lady."

I nodded my head and felt myself visibly gulp.

Time to set my plan in action.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Havent got much of a authors note today, im on my holidays at the moment so i plan to do a lotta writing (hopefully)

As always, ty for reading and i hope yall have an absolutely fabulous day.

xoxoxox
iris

Word count (866)