XI; Night's Spell of Budding Romance

Start from the beginning

"I haven't danced with anyone since high school." Gerard had to higher the volume of his voice for Frank to hear him due to the loudness of the music they stood closer to than they had previously. His hands fell onto Frank's slim waist and the latter stood on the tips of his toes to hold onto him, his lips curved upwards.

"I hope you remember how." Frank giggled softly, coming close enough for it to nearly overwhelm Gerard. He watched a strand of Frank's hair flutter towards his forehead near the scar where a cut once slashed across it and he looked into the merman's eyes as he began to guide their steps, keeping them light and easy to mimic the people beside them stepping in tandem. He guided himself and held onto Frank's waist, avoiding thoughts involving the softness of him underneath his hands and the subtle movements of his hips as he followed Gerard's lead. He felt Frank's fingers brush along the side of his neck occasionally and the rumble of his light laughter shared between only the both of them as they easily fell into a pattern of dancing. The rose secure in Frank's grasp would also graze Gerard's skin whenever Frank shifted, velvety soft and close to the sensation of warm fingertips brushing over his flesh. He treacherously wished those brief touches had been Frank's hands instead, he started to develop this craving for warmth over time and Frank carried every single piece of that kind of heat he needed in the gentleness of his touch, even if it remained the smallest accidental movement.

Frank was light on his feet. He trotted along with Gerard as if he'd been raised learning the movements of a particular dance, swaying himself accordingly, moving apart from the outstretched length of Gerard's arm to gracefully twirl with his rose pressed against his smiling lips, drawing back in with ease. His eyes were alight with thousands of dreams spun in gold and hazel, threading through his irises Gerard could see glowing in the pale glow of the moon. Frank moved back into the circle of Gerard's arms and drew in closely, admirable while so near to him, and he offered a gentle smile as he tapped Gerard's cheek with the petals of his rose as though the touch of them would grant him all of the thoughts trickling into his mind.

"You dance pretty well for a merman." Gerard noted, keeping his voice low for only Frank to hear his words.

"Did you think I would be stumbling around in front of everyone?" Frank took on a teasing note Gerard had yet to hear from him, leaving him pleasantly surprised and smiling against his will.

"Not exactly, I just didn't think you'd be so . . ." Gerard twirled Frank in his arms again, drawing him in, resting his hands on his hips. "Light."

"Ever since I've started living here, I learn things quicker every day." Frank titled his head back to gaze at the twinkling lights overhead, his arms encircling Gerard's neck and his wrists crossing together behind it. "I've always wondered what if felt like to dance."

"Why is that?" Gerard asked.

"I've seen it in paintings that sink into the ocean, and I saw people do it the one time I went to the shore. I once found a strange box on the floor one day. When I opened it, there was a tiny girl inside, and when I twisted the metal piece sticking out at the bottom, she started to spin."

"A music box." Gerard informed him of the name, slowing their pace a bit to engage in the sprouting conversation.

"It didn't play music, not like my snow globe." Frank's brows creased with confusion.

"It must have been broken if it was down there. I'm surprised that she still spun when you wound it up."

Frank nodded, thoughts flickering across his expression, and he leaned closer to bring his lips near Gerard's ear. "The mermaids were jealous because I kept her all to myself instead of sharing her, but she was my tiny friend, and I would spin with her. It just wasn't the same because of my tail."