6

As soon as I was back - surrounded by the other guests, who didn’t look at me with judgment or expectations, with no troubles bothering them which couldn’t easily be solved; I felt like meeting the guy with the green troubled eyes had never even happened. An elderly couple smiled politely at me and when I was finally back at my table; Liam caught my eyes, beamed at me, and raised a finger in the air; as if he had finally remembered that Coke I had ordered a while back.

But I still couldn’t forget those green eyes, which had been so honest. There was something about the honesty; I simply couldn’t get out of my mind. That I found fascinating - I wanted to know what had been worrying him. Making his facade crack like that towards a guest like me. I was pretty sure he wasn’t one himself, as I hadn’t seen him at any of the dinner tables the entire evening through.

I was fiddling with the edge of the white tablecloth, as a familiar voiced reached me; “you don’t fancy dancing, huh?”

My eyes flew up to see a grinning Liam Payne placing the Coke at my table. I chuckled softly while shaking my head, “not really no. Not tonight anyway. Do you dance?”

Surprise spread in his brown kind eyes; eyes that didn’t judge me as pathetic, instead saw me as someone interesting and worth talking to.

“Sure I do, but servants are not allowed unfortunately. Otherwise I would probably have asked you right now,” he stated it halfly like the true words of a gentleman and halfly like a playful compliment.

My eyes shyly escaped his for a second while a soft smile suited my lips.

“Would you have said yes?” Liam Payne continued with that confident curiosity and politeness he possesed.

I narrowed my eyes at him; he wasn’t like the others it seemed to me. He wasn’t like Cynthia or Patrica or Judy - or all the other avaricious people in this room. It was such a strange thing; I didn’t see myself agree with them on just turning a blind eye to all the problems in the world like they did, but at the same time I was one of them. Here I was - at Kellerman’s Summer Resort eager and excited to be here. Meanwhile I merely just fantasized about being different; dreaming about not being so ignorant to the inequality the world also contained. But I wasn’t any different from the rest was I?

And Liam Payne was still waiting politely for my well thought through answer to his imaginative dancing request; “I think I would say yes to you actually.”

I watched with happiness as a smile spread on his lips, “it’s truly a shame I’m not allowed to dance then.”

The evening passed by as I simply watched the guests and occasionally the servants too; observing how people smiled or laughed. Which servants were most busy and how some of them seemed to abandon their duties as the night passed.

“Are you still here?” Patricia asked with a patronizing tone as she returned with her sister - Cynthia - who was giggling stupidly by her side.

Feeling tired I didn’t even bother to move to watched her. Instead I mumbled, “obviously,” and smiled for myself as Patricia snorted in annoyance. “Maybe you should go help the servants then, Frances.” She spat my name and made a dramatic move as she pulled out her chair.

Cynthia copied her sister’s motion and finally Patricia leaned in and asked her; “tell me everything.” I couldn’t help feeling a little curious as to what Cynthia ‘had to tell everything about’. I peeked back at them across the table, as Cynthia’s eyes seemed to sparkle and her cheeks seemed extra pink. It was undoubtedly about Richard Woodruff, as she lowered her voice and started whispering. The music was too loud for me to hear it. I could only hear Patricia gasp out loudly and watch how she bit down on her lip in concentration as she listened to her sister’s gossip.