Adam & Steve (Short Story)

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?" Steve asked as he saw the face Adam made through the mirror.

"Simone hasn't replied to any of my texts."

"Can you stop worrying? I'm sure she'll respond, give her time."

Simone was this beautiful dark girl completely out of Adam's league. Steve was positive that the girl wasn't even into white dudes, but Adam, knowingly, didn't care. He had this huge crush on her that began a couple of months ago and only recently did they start texting each other. But from what Steve heard, she only went after tan Spanish guys and Adam was neither. He was paler than the moon, and he was pretty sure Adam's ass emitted a kind of moonlight as well.

"Did you get any messages?" Adam asked.

With the brush and toothpaste filling up his entire mouth, he shrugged. Adam rolled around the bed to the other side and grabbed Steve's phone, quickly typing down the code to unlock it. Steve wanted to ask how he knew his code, but Adam was his best friend, he knew everything.

"You have nothing, also I just noticed we have no signal," Adam said, staring at both of the phones.

Once Steve finished brushing his teeth, he went back to Adam and took his phone back. He wasn't lying, neither of them had signal. When he tried to text someone, it gave him an error message. He went to the house phone downstairs and tried to call his mom, but there wasn't even a tone when he placed it on his ear, just silence.

"That is so weird," Adam mumbled with a toothbrush in his mouth. Steve looked up and down at him.

"Can you brush your teeth in the bathroom and not in the kitchen, please? Remember how my mom reacted when she found out you used the kitchen sink and spat all over the dishes?"

"I don't know why, she was gonna clean them anyway," he replied.

"OH MY GOD!" Steve screamed, pulling the hand that was holding the toothbrush. "THAT'S MY TOOTHBRUSH!"

"Um," he said, staring at the brush. "No? Mine was the blue one."

"Yours is the green one!"

"Oh, God." Adam stared at the brush in horror, then he ran upstairs panicking. "Oh, God. I think I'm gonna throw up."

Steve sighed and just shook his head sympathetically. Next time he was going to give Adam the pink toothbrush, that way he won't forget which one is his.

He went back to the little dilemma he was having. The phones weren't working, so how was he supposed to communicate with anyone? How was he supposed to find out when the phones would work again? He was definitely going to change companies. His phone service sucked.

Oh! He could go online and message his mom, ask her to call the company for him and see what the hell was going on. He went back upstairs to his bedroom and turned on his computer. As he waited for the monitor to light up, he watched Adam scrubbing his mouth with a different brush this time.

Steve typed in his password when the box appeared with his username. As his computer loaded up all of the files, he saw the red mark at the bottom right corner of the screen. The internet was off.

"Are you kidding me right now?" Steve said, starting to get frustrated.

"What?"

"The internet isn't working," he said as he clicked on the internet icon and opened up the browser page. Nothing loaded up.

"Is the power on?" Adam asked.

Steve slowly spun around, squinting his eyes at Adam. "I worry about you, Adam."