[26] I'm Very Sensitive

Start from the beginning

I want to joke about, or at least point out that he just admitted that he's uncomfortable, but I decided against it.

I instead tell him, "I'm not laughing at you, it's just that..."

I stop abruptly mid-thought because it would probably be best to proceed with caution. This is a delicate situation. I must think before I act. I must choose my next words very carefully. I'd rather not give Jack any more of an advantage over me by telling him I'm ticklish. It's so hard not to laugh or get distracted when you're as ticklish as me. I'm very sensitive. Especially around Jack.

Speaking of Jack, he has now raised his head to be able to lock eyes with me and he's definitely not laughing right now.

This is when I realize he was sincere. My fuzzy brain suddenly becomes clear as it hurries to process all of the little details... like how vulnerable his voice sounded a moment ago. If this were a comic book, a lightbulb would be going off above my head. The sudden realization makes my throat dry.

My laughter actually made him feel insecure. He's angry because he feels humiliated. The red blush on his cheeks from embarrassment seems less cute now that he's 'defending his honor' or whatever. He's angry... embarrassed angry; that's the worst kind of angry. Uh oh.

The fuming raven-haired boy raises his eyebrow.

"It's just that what?" he demands me to reveal the rest of my sentence with a low voice.

I gulp nervously. I don't know how to reassure him without revealing the compromising, not to mention, embarrassing fact that I'm ticklish.

"It's just that...that..." I struggle to find my words and Jack seizes the opportunity to finish my sentence with clenched teeth,

"...you're making fun of me? That y-"

"No!" I protest loudly, but it's no good.

"...you're mocking me?" he questions indicatively, then concludes, "You think that this is funny!"

He scoffs, shaking his head like he's disappointed in me. "You find it funny."

My chest seizes up.

"Well, I'm sorry, Spencer," he spits my name out with venom "- but this is anything but funny for me."

I'm stunned into silence. Even if I did have words to say, I doubt I would have been able to say them in time because Jack is all riled up and on a roll. My gaping mouth only seems to infuriate him even more.

"This is not some game to me. This is not funny." He pauses for a moment. "This- " he gestures to us "-is scary as hell."

As I hear the crack in his voice with those last words... my heart cracks simultaneously. He's about to remove my legs from around his waist when I grab both sides of his face and turn him toward me.

"Jack." I stare at him straight on.

---

AN: So any guesses on why Jack is so affected by the idea of Spencer laughing at him?

Or why he's so riled up?

So angry?

Also... what do you think Spencer will do next?

I KNOW I'm breaking a rule right now because I'm updating in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, but I don't care because I HAD to update after the overwhelming amount of support I've received in the past 72 hours. It's been crazy and I'm just shocked beyond belief.

I was super busy the second half of this week and was constantly checking my notifications (because it motivated to study for a big test so that I wouldn't have to spend my weekend preparing to retake it and would instead work on WRITING!!) but didn't get to respond to many until this morning. So I went back to comment on everyone's board a thank you (like I always do) for any support of this book they gave within these past couple days but then after getting through about half of my notifications wATTPAD BLOCKED ME from commenting on any more boards! How crazy is that?

So I apologize if I didn't get to thanking you yet for any vote, comment, reading list add, etc., you gave me in the past 48 hours or so, I promise I saw your notifications and appreciate you more than you can possibly imagine!!!

Every comment, read, and vote makes my heart flutter and my day a little brighter. Thank you all for making me smile and get through some tough times.

I can't wait to improve as a writer and give you the content you deserve because you all are wonderful humans (as far as I know... maybe there's a few gay aliens with internet access out there?) and I couldn't ask for more loving, supportive readers.

Also, if you ever need someone to talk to about life or issues - LET ME KNOW!!! My private messages/dms are always open:-)

By the way, I'll always be dedicating each chapter to one of you amazing people from now on. So yay!

Yes, this is a filler chapter and I apologize for that but hopefully I can update Wednesday! It is finals week for me though so I'm a bit (A LOT) swamped with homework and studying for that.

Good luck to anyone who has finals/exams/testing soon or just had them! I believe in you!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!

Love,

Leah