Chapter Twenty-Eight

Magsimula sa umpisa

"So I'm going to have preeclampsia for the rest of my pregnancy? I've still got fifteen weeks left!" You worried.

"It's too early for us to safely deliver your baby, so as of right now, I'm going to put you on some blood pressure medication, corticosteroids and an anticonvulsant medication, magnesium sulphate. Corticosteroids are to help improve your liver and platelet function. The magnesium sulphate is to prevent you from having a seizure."

You scratched your forehead and sniffed, "are these medications safe for my baby?"

"Oh, of course!" Dr. Mitchell replied. "I'm not recommending bed rest, but I definitely recommend you take it easy, Okay?"

"Okay." You nodded in agreement.

"Now I know this is your first pregnancy, but you should know that it's going to be okay. Although you have a rather aggressive form of preeclampsia, you and your baby should be perfectly fine- we caught it early."

You shot dr. Mitchell a small smile. You were extremely worried! So many things were running through your head as the doctor was listing off all the serious things that could go wrong with your pregnancy! You were more prone to a placental abruption, stroke, seizures- it was a lot to take in! Danneel wouldn't be in Vancouver for another few hours and Jared wouldn't be home from Montreal for another few days. You realized that you were just going to have to stick it out by yourself.

"You're welcome to stay here for an observation period if you feel it's absolutely necessary."

"Do you mind if I stay here until my friend gets here? She's flying in from Austin, Texas." You asked, your voice shaky.

"I definitely would recommend hospitalization for you. Even if it is until your friend gets here. I wouldn't want you to be home alone and something happen to you or your baby. I'd never forgive myself."

Dr. Mitchell moved you up to a room where she hooked you up to all the monitors while waiting for Danneel. You dozed off and slept through most of the wait. Once Danneel got there, Dr. Mitchell filled Danneel in, to the best of her ability, without breaking her doctor-patient confidentiality. Danneel sat next to your bed, playing with your hair or her iPhone until you woke up.

"Let's get you home huh?" Danneel cooed, helping you up.

You leaned up against Danneel as you walked to the front desk and signed discharge papers.

"You really gave me a scare there, Y/N. I spent my whole flight worrying about whether you and the baby were going to be okay."

"I think I freaked Arlo out." You sniffed.

You hadn't even thought about Jared's dog! Arlo was such a sweet dog and he was trained to pick up on this sort of stuff. He was probably going out of his mind.

"Well, we'll go home and make him feel better, okay?" Danneel rubbed your back.

She helped you into the passenger seat of her rental SUV and pressed a kiss against your forehead, "I'm going to take great care of you."

Danneel felt like a mom to you. She technically was old enough to be your mom. You're twenty-two and she's thirty-nine, meaning she would've been seventeen if you were biologically hers- the same age as your mother when she gave birth to you. When you got home, you curled up on the couch, cuddled into Arlo. He was lying on top of your blanket, in between your legs, with his head laid on your baby bump. You were nearly asleep when you heard Danneel on the phone.

"No, Jared. No. Listen to me."

Silence.

"I'm here with her. There's no need to worry."