Crying in the Rain ☔

[I just want to start of by saying that this is probably going to be extremely cheesy and cliche but I love the rain and I miss it. It hasn't rained where I live in forever so I'm dedicating this one to crying in the rain ☔]

     So lately I've been going through some stuff. Nothing major but enough to put me in a bad mood for days on end. I've just been really down and I haven't had anyone to talk to. Usually I would have my friend Michael but lately he's been really distant. That's another reason why I've been down lately. I don't know where I went wrong. One day he just seemed really agitated with me and then he just dropped me and stopped talking to me. I would comment under his posts with a joke but I would be left with no reply or like.

     Its been weeks since he even bothered to look my way. I really shouldn't care right? It's been weeks so I should've gotten over it already. I just can't though. Its not that easy to just drop a strong bond like that. Well maybe it was easy for him. Everyday I just can't help but think about what I could've done wrong. What did I say? I don't want to seem childish buy its kind of hurting my feelings.

*RIIING*

     The bell rings and the last class of the day is dismissed. I slowly pack up my things before tossing my bag over my shoulder and leaving class. I pass through the hall of students and umbrellas and try to find my locker. Once I find it I open it and place my textbooks inside. I doze off a bit and just stare into my locker, allowing my mind to race with thoughts again. My heart drops once I hear a familiar laugh and voice. Its Michael.

     "I already told you that she was the weirdest teacher on campus. I don't know why you're even surprised," he laughs with his 'friends' and I just sigh before closing and locking my locker. I turn to exit the school when I bump into a tall, sturdy figure. Oh shoot. I ran into Michael and the girl latched onto his arm doesn't seem very happy about it. Wait... Who is she?

     "Hey why don't you watch where you're going next time," the girl retorts. "And who are you again," I ask. The girl scoffs. "Oh look. She's acting like she doesn't know who we are," she laughs and looks at her friends. They all laugh except for Michael, who looks me in my eyes and stays silent. I look back at the girl. "Well maybe if you were actually relevant then I would know who you are but clearly you're no one important," I retort. The group falls quiet and looks at one another. Michael's eyes not leaving mine.

     "Michael are you just gonna let her talk to me like that," the girl whispers. He doesn't respond. She nudges him a bit. "Michael," she whispers again. He sighs a bit before speaking. "Who do you think you are, huh? You can't just talk to her like that. We don't take shit from rejects like you," he retorts, causing my heart to sink. I'm shocked. "Reject, huh," I ask before lightly nodding my head, staring Michael in his eyes. I just scoff and push past them. I step outside into the rain and rush to a secluded area behind the school and just cry.

     All of the buildup from the last couple of days and the pain from what just happened. How could he say something like that. That wasn't the Michael that I befriended. That wasn't the same boy who would come over to randomly bake cookies with me. The boy who would spend hours on top of hours just talking to me. That wasn't him. My face soon becomes soaked from the mixture of the rain and tears and I try to steady my breathing. After a few minutes of just sitting there staring at the puddles forming on the ground I hear footsteps. Rushed footsteps.

     I quickly pull out my phone and pretend that I was using it the whole time and not crying. I don't even look up to see who it is. "(Y/N) look," a voice begins. I immediately recognise the voice and stand to my feet. Without sparing a glance I walk away. "(Y/N) please just listen. I'm sorry," he rambles on. I just keep walking. He places his hand on my shoulder and turns me around. "Come on just plea-" "Does it look like I want to talk to you right now," I interrupt. "Please," he softly says. "What is it," I say in a rush to end the conversation.

     He doesn't speak. He just hugs me. Its a tight hug. His hug. The familiar embrace that I've missed for so long. I can't help but cry. He notices and tightens the hug. "I'm so sorry, (y/n). Please hear me out," he begs and lets go. "Why, Michael. Why did you go weeks without talking to me. Why did you just drop me for your new 'friends'? What did I do," I ask. "Nothing. You did absolutely nothing," he says with a sigh.

     "Then what was it," I ask. "What happened?" He looks down at the ground then back at me. "I was frustrated with myself. I had a strong feeling for you and I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I felt that I wasn't good enough for you and that I needed to separate myself from you in order to get over you. It didn't work at all. Everyday I saw you and wanted nothing more than to talk to you but I kept telling myself not to and that it would help. I've never been so wrong about something before in my life," he vents. I just stare into his eyes, speechless.

     "The only thing it taught me is how bad I need you in my life. I made a mistake and I can't even stomach the words I said. You're not a reject, (y/n). You're so much more than that. I lo-" "Who is she," I ask. I want to get rid of any doubt before falling back into this. He looks around before the pieces finally click in his mind. "Oh. She's just some girl I thought would help me get over you. She's such a needy person. Always needs to have things her way and I can't stand it. All she did was show me how lucky I was to have you in my life," he softly says. He pulls me into another hug. This one more passionate than before. "I'm so so so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I love you," he whispers.

     My heart flutters a bit. I want to say to back. I just can't. I'm trying. "I- I love you too," I whisper. He rests his rest onto mine and holds the embrace for longer. Once he pulls away I notice a red tint in his eyes. "Were you crying," I ask, shocked. "Yes- no- maybe," he responds. I chuckle a bit before shivering. The rain stopped for a bit but I was still cold. "I should get you home," he says. Without another word being exchanged between us, he grabs my hand and we walk toward my house.