Can You Feel It?

Dan went to Marylin's funeral with me, for support. I didn't even want to go. It hurt so bad. My heart had healed from what I thought was heartbreak, just to rebreak a minute later at the news. Marylin was the closest thing to a mother I ever had, even though I only knew her for a year, we had gotten so close. Her name was even similar to my own mother's: Marilyn Brandon and Mary Branner.

I didn't cry for the entire service. Listening to Mr. Brandon sobbing was extremely tear jerking. He was all alone now, since they had no children of their own. Marylin considered me and Johnny her children, but her husband didn't know either of us that well.

I held Dan's arm tight. I had the idea of leaving early just to escape the traffic. I just wanted to be alone for a little bit. Get home as soon as possible. It had been months.

"Do you want to go to my place or yours?"Dan has asked.

"I guess mine. You've only been there one time."

"Okay. As long as you're not alone."

"I'm with you all the time now "

"Are you getting tired of it?"

"No, not at all. I just wished we didn't live twenty minutes away from each other."

"That reminds me. I was going to ask you last week, but you're phone rang and you heard about...er...you know. And, ummm... it's totally okay if you say no, but I don't want to make things weird between us."

"Just ask me?"

He breathed deeply. "Would you like to move in with me? Since we've been together for a while now and it's not safe by yourself anymore?"

"Um..." I started.

"Just say no, Rosie. That's all you have to do. Don't worry about me."

"It's not that, it's just...that sounds great. A little scary, but great. Just...just let me spend some time thinking about it, before I make any big decisions. I mean, it would be good to live in an actual house again."

He smiled. "Take your time. I don't want to pressure you into it and I definitely won't be making if you're simply not ready."

"I didn't say that. Living with you sounds like a step up. More adult."

"I'm twenty eight years old, and I still barely act like an adult."

"That's not true."

He laughed slightly.

"I at least want my dad to formally meet you before."

"Like in person?"

"Yeah, he's planning on flying out here in either November or December. Can you wait that long?"

"Of course."

//One Week Later\\
I had spent a lot of time in my pajamas and lying around in bed. The closest thing to human contact I had was when I picked up my phone and checked Instagram for less than a minute. I felt like shit, and I had no intentions of leaving my place anytime soon.

It was that Thursday when I finally opened my front door instead of ignoring whoever it was ringing. I was expecting Amy, or maybe even Mr Brandon; both had tried to see me multiple times since the funeral, but luckily, it was neither.

"Rosie? Rosie, are you alright? You've been different all week."

"Hey." I wrapped my arms around my lover, whom I found most relief in seeing.

"I've been worried about you all week. Why haven't you returned any of my calls?"

I raised my head. "Sorry. I keep thinking about her. She was family. I just really miss her."

"I'm so, so sorry." he said. "I could tell she really loved you."

I felt tears coming, and I was so close to breaking down. "You know, she once told me that I was the daughter she'd always wanted, since she could never have her own?"

"That must hurt, Rosie. I'm very sorry. I don't know what to say, but I swear I'll listen." He pulled me tight to his chest.

Dan
It was painful just watching her hurt. Not being able to help her was even worse. I just continued to hold her in my arms, listening to her sobs.

"It's not just Marylin." she said. "I spent my whole life grieving over my birth mother, even though I don't remember her. I wanted a mother so bad I couldn't stand it. Then when I met her, I finally got one."

I rubbed her face, wet with hot tears. "Rosie, can I tell you something that might comfort you? My mum was always a mother, not just to me and my sister. But also to everyone she sensed needed it. She knew not to ask you about yours, but she tried her hardest to make you comfortable."

"Your mom is an amazing person." she said. "She didn't have to do anything, I still would've felt the same way."

"She loves you, Rosie. She's only met you once, and you've won both of my parents' hearts. And I'm not trying to brag about my own mother, but think about it. Sometimes family is love, not blood. And I'm always going to be here for you. My family is yours, including Kyle, Woody, and Will."

She grabbed my face and kissed me. "Thank you. No one's ever really cared about me. Not the way you do. I love you so much."

"I love you more." I kissed her, pulling her hair over her shoulders. She hugged onto mine tightly.

She was everything to me. My heart, my world, my love. My rose. Sharp around the edges, but natural, and effortlessly beautiful. London was a sky full of stars, and she was the moon. I wanted more of her, with her; so much more.