Don't Make Me Feel Small

Start from the beginning

I broke away first, irritated. “He has a point.”

“Did you say something?” Scarlett turns to look at me, face scrunched up in concern, eyebrows pulled together in concentration.

“Um,” I hated lying to her. “No, nothing.”

“Emmarie?” Her gaze darkened and I entered dangerous territory, swimming in a pool of ink. She knew I was lying, but chose to let it slide, and for that I was eternally grateful. I intertwined our fingers, giving her hand a squeeze. She squeezed back, silent and lethal. Scarlett was my weapon. She was my best friend.

Normal P.OV.

It was complete and utter darkness inside the cold cell, a single figure slumped on one corner. His eyes were covered by his crescent white bangs and he twitched at the sound of his cell door opening with a clank.

Two royal guards stood in front of him, holding torches. The shirtless male shuddered away from the soft light, covering his face from the dancing flames.

"We have orders to let you out," one of the guards said, his eyes widening when the prisoner unnoticingly passed him

"We have orders to let you out," one of the guards said, his eyes widening when the prisoner unnoticingly passed him. "Prince, please—"

"—shut up." the boy snapped in a low, wicked voice. A smile crept up to his face, reaching from ear to ear. "So she's here."

Y/N's P.O.V.

I rose reluctantly, painfully. The queen clapped her hands excitedly before ordering, “Release the slaves. Release Mike!”

At the mention of Mike, murmurs and whispers were exchanged throughout the room in hushed, dreadful voices and I felt the electric atmosphere envelop me. I watched the soldiers get off their horses and take off the slaves' chains, whose faces were twisted in confusion and surprise.

The wave of relief that washed over me evaporated at the sudden silence in the air, the moment of anticipation before something terrible happened. It sounded like the footsteps of a giant, in sync with my thumping heartbeat. A giant beast appeared out of nowhere, and my eyes widened. Its shoulders were wide, front legs resembling those of a human, eyes tiny black marbles. The monster did not show any sign of aggression; in fact, it appeared calm. Like it knew the outcome of this face-off before it even happened.