Fade Away - Viserys Targaryen x reader

It seemed ages ago, when you had first met him, when your eyes had first locked on this magnificent being. Even though young of age, he seemed a mystery, a myth.

For all the time you'd known him, he held himself up with pride, his confidence ever so obvious just as his lack of facing the world realistically. Many had described him as arrogant, vile, a monster, but to you- to you he was just lonely.

Having to watch his father and brother slewn, and within days fleeing the land he had grown up in, just to see his mother die, leaving him alone to care for a babe. You knew about his story, and you wouldn't have want to swap places.

Viserys Targaryen was many things, but brutal hadn't been one of them. He was a brother, caring for himself and his sister, desperately trying to keep them both alive. Of course, selling his mothers crown seemed a questionable move, but in some way, you understood.

The prince was just a boy, when he first met you. Barely a year older than yourself. You thought him to be beautiful even then. His hair that was so much like silver and his eyes gleaming like a gem stone. Those purple orbs only ever showed softness and warmth whenever you felt yourself being lost in them.

He had told you of that kindom that once was his father's. It was his, by right of birth. And his greatest ambition, the destination on the end of this road that was his life, was to gain back what belonged to him. In that way, you thought it was obvious that he wanted it. To regain the power that his family once held, and to avenge the lives that were taken.

Yet as time went on, it was the throne that captured his mind. Not revenge. At first, you thought that was good, maybe he had accepted what had happened, and maybe he had even forgiven. But the throne and its hall and the whole city around it; Viserys wanted it. And it was too late, that you could even wrap your mind around what he was willing to do to get what he wanted.

Far too late, you realised what he had done to young Daenerys, a girl that became some sort of sister to you. You had loved her like family, as both a friend and advisor. And you had loved her brother, for who he was in the moments you two were alone.

His voice was soft, gentle, as his fingertips danced lightly across the naked skin of your collarbone.

„When I will come to possess ships, I want you to come with me. Join me, be by my side." he had whispered in your ear, his warm breath so close to your skin that it made you shiver, „And I will show you what is mine and put a crown on your head. I will make you a queen. My queen."

It was moments like that, that you felt sure the feelings you had, whenever the young prince was close to you, were mutual. And maybe it was that, what made it seem so unreal to you. How could a boy as beautiful and regal as him become a person like that?

It seemed a sickness that overtook him within just a short time. The greed became pretentious, his hunger for the throne unbearable. From one night to another, the man you loved seemed to change drastically. Or had the been like that before? Where you so blinded by love to be completely unaware of how he really was? As mad as his father had been?

Without wasting a second thought, he had sold young Daenerys to the Dothraki. There was no love in his doing, no sign that he regretted it. How could he be so cruel? How could you not stop loving him, for all the bad he'd done?

Family was something, that you would never not do anything for. So despite your judgement, and Ilyrio'spleading, you went to leave with Dany. It was the only thing you could do, to not only protect her from that man she feared but was supposed to marry, creating a bond and therefore providing ships for Viserys' plan. No- you accompanied her to protect her from her brother. There was no way you would let him hurt her even more than he already had.

It was the Targaryen's that you had loved and admired, but now there was only one Targaryen that you would be loyal to, only one that you would love. So with all the hatred and loathing that you started to feel for the man who had been yours not so long ago, you tried to ban him from your heart. Shield your emotions so that he wouldn't have a change to hurt you.

And with time, it seemed to work.The scars on your heart seemed to heal, the damage that was done seemed to lessen in intensity.

Daenerys seemed to grow attached to the Dothraki, they seemed her family now. She became happier, more confidant, and you grew all the more distant from her brother. He wasn't a part of your life anymore, just one of many that travelled alongside you.

So when the time came, and his maddnesswon over him, you sat and watched as he was given what he pleaded for: A crown. A crown made of molten gold.

With the blood pumping  aggressively through your veins, you watched him die, and it was then, that you realised: this crown should have been yours, as well, for you were his Queen. And with the last of Viserys' breath, you felt like yours stopped, too.

"On the first page of our story

The future seemed so bright

Then this thing turned out so evil

I don't know why I'm still surprised.

Even angels have their wicked schemes

And you take that to new extremes

But you will always be my hero

Even though you've lost your mind."

(gif found on tumblr)