The Women Who Fell To Earth - Review

Warning: Spoilers for Episode 1 Of Series 11.

Well, this is it, people, after months of eager anticipation from fans like you and I we've entered a whole new age for Doctor Who. Gone are the days of overused Daleks or Moffat writing underdeveloped characters, after binging the first season of Broadchurch, I have confidence Chris Chibnall would pull it off as new head writer and executive producer.

Boy, did he do precisely that.

Firstly, I want to go over the characters, something with previous series' failed to really grasp and make deep, interesting people with actual personalities. I already am intrigued by Ryan Sinclair, who seems to be the main man out of the new trio of companions for Doctor Numero Trece.

Speaking of the Time Lady, Jodie Whittaker is fabulous as The Doctor, she really nails the role and portrays it with her own style and charisma. Definitely a wise choice from Chibnall, and her supporting 'fam' are fun!

PC Yasmin Khan is good, although I don't really have much to go one with her, she's still somewhat of an amateur at her job despite having the interest to delve into it and her long stay at it. She seems rather selfless and willing to stick her neck out for alien strangers she met on a train to Sheffield at night.

As for the one who received least seven time out the three, Graham O'Brien took what looked like a stereotypical stern elderly figure for the rest to admire, turned out to be a right whinger at times. But he has a good heart, he cared for his second wife Grace and (tried to) get to know his new grandson.

That's something I noticed about the companions, they all vaguely know one another, which presumably means they'll build on previously-established relationships in future. Yas and Ryan went to the same school when they were kids and Graham is the new grandfather to Ryan (See what I mean about him being the ringleader if the three?).

So I can say with great pride that the writing for Episode 1 is centred on the most integral aspect; characters, I thoroughly look forward to seeing how they each develop and grow out of their stem.

Enough with the sides, let's focus on the main thing fans and critics have been most looking out for.

The Doctor.

Every time this protagonist is recycled anew, a cycle reboots itself involving the fans and their loyalty to each Doctor. But for poor ol' 13 it's more than just that, it's her gender.

The moment the Doctor realizes that she is now a "she" goes by in the blink of an eye. Having fallen clear out of the sky and through the roof of a train under alien attack — and losing her trusty TARDIS in the process, no less — the Doctor has more important things to do than consider the fact of her gender. It's not until someone calls her "madam" and informs her that she's a woman that she actually slows down to consider the implications. "Am I?" she says, eyebrows raising with mild curiosity. "Does it suit me?"

It does, for your information.

However, back in July of last year when Jodie Whittaker was announced the Thirteenth Doctor after an intense Wimbledon game it didn't bode well with certain Whovians. Some took their opposition online where they shared their views out, saying how the BBC has become too PC and pandering to all audiences. This controversy dividing the community has been present up till now, where people have witnessed themselves of their view was right or wrong.

I personally thought Whittaker handled it expertly, with great timing and expressions that could innocently kill
and lines written in proper British fashion.

I mean, you know it's a show set in Yorkshire when a drunkard sees an alien with humanoid teeth in its face and lobs his kebab at it, sure he dies and the parents have to shield their children's eyes, but it is still funny.

The cinematography has also had a significant upgrade showing off its newly visualised shots, angles, close-ups and long takes. The Woman Who Fell To Earth isn't just visually pleasing, it's also great for the ears!

Composed by the multi-talented Segun Akinola, the score was excellent, nay, mesmerising. The main theme is amazing and sets you back into the Classic era with that fizziness, I always thought Murray Gold leaving would taint the non-diagetic side of the show, but Mr Akinola has done a superb job in this opener!

The Woman Who Fell To Earth is a hit with critics from all corners of the Internet, it's a hit with the Sheffield community and it is a great day to be a Whovian!

Never forget tonight, for it will be marked in history, not teeth.

Check back Next Sunday for Episode 2 - The Ghost Monument. 

Bye!