Chapter 26- Through the Trapdoor

Start from the beginning

"I'll go first. I'll call if it's safe, if not, go get McGonagall," I said, leaning over the trapdoor and glancing down into the seemingly never-ending darkness.

"No! Lil-" Harry was too late.

I'd flung myself through the hole in the floor, before Harry could even suggest stopping me. But he'd grabbed onto the back of my robes as I tossed myself through. Harry landed on top of me as we hit the bottom. It was covered in thick green plants. Harry rolled off me and let out groan as he fell down beside me.

"The harp's stopped!" I heard Hermione's voice travel downwards towards Harry and me.

I heard screaming, starting far, and getting close. Harry and I glanced at each other for a brief moment, before we managed to scramble out of the way. Ron, Hermione and Sydney each landed with a thud. Sydney clutched the arm she'd landed on and I saw her jaw set tight.

"You okay there, Syd?" I questioned.

"I think I broke my arm," Sydney replied keeping her voice level.

"I don't think we can do anything now. None of us know any healing spells," Hermione informed. "We wouldn't want to risk making it any worse."

Sydney groaned and fell back against the soft plants. Just as I was about to ask Hermione just what it was we were sitting on, the plant sprouted vines and started to close around us. We all started to struggle to free our quickly trapped limbs. Hermione was the only one who managed to escape before getting trapped.

"Stop struggling! It'll only kill you faster," she stated. "It's Devil's Snare!"

"Kill us faster?!" Ron started to struggle more.

"Relax," Hermione insisted.

Trusting Hermione, the smartest of us all, we all obeyed. True, the vines began to tug less at our arms and legs. They persisted, however, and we sunk into the vines still. The only thing I personally could remember Professor Sprout saying about Devil's Snare was that it suffocated people. That made me want to struggle as much as Ron was, but I resisted.

"Devil's snare... what did Professor Sprout say? Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare. It's deadly fun... but will sulk in the sun!" Hermione recited.

"Light a fire then!" Harry suggested, as he lost all control of his arm when a vine wrapped around his wrist.

"Hurry up, Hermione!" Just as I said this, a vine reached out from the depths of the plant and wound themselves so tight around my chest that I was forced to exhale, and it was suddenly impossible to inhale. I tried to gasp for air.

"There's no wood," Hermione said sadly.

"Are you a bloody witch or not?" Sydney said, even in the situation finding it appropriate to accompany her question with her trademark eye roll.

"Oh! Yes of course!" Hermione muttered. "Lumos Solem!"

The plant recoiled, pushing into the walls. I gasped sharply, feeling the glorious feeling of air re-entering my lungs. We all scrambled to our feet quickly, except for Ron. Ron, who was still lying on the hard stone floor, was panting still after exerting all his energy in fighting the plants, which Hermione had told him many times not to do. He saw the four of us looking down on him, and hopped up quickly.

"Good thing we didn't panic then," he said quickly.

No one responded to his comment as we moved on to the next room. Sydney pushed the door open softly, and revealed the room ahead. The first thing I noticed was the fluttering sound of wings. It reminded me of the Golden Snitch, but it sounded as if there were thousands of them. When I opened the door, I almost expected there to be just that. Instead, I found something much more surprising.