Chapter 36

Air conditioning is one of those things that you can never fully appreciate until you are stuck in the middle of a forest without any electricity. The house doesn't provide much insulation from the heat but it's still better than outside. You could go for a swim in the lake to cool off but without Law around you aren't sure if it would be safe.

Law has wandered down to the town to pick up a few things. The house has begun to succumb to age and Law has decided to patch it up. There is a small hole in the roof above the kitchen where rain will fall through and the matches for lighting the gas stove have run out. There is also a lack of candles and the mattress has no sheets.

The two of you had made it through one night fine but after an easy life it's difficult to adjust to.

So Law had wandered through the forest and into the town to buy a few things and you are left alone in the middle of the forest.

In this time by yourself you wander around the house, examining every inch of the building. The cupboards in the kitchen are mostly empty except for the most basic cooking utensils and cutlery. Apart from the food that you had brought yesterday, and that wasn't much, there isn't a scrap.

The first aid kit is empty on the small dining table, its contents scattered around it.

Law had redressed your arms this morning. They are already looking better but still a long way from being fully healed.

Your stomach and ribs are black and blue and the ache returns every time you lean over or twist your torso. There isn't much you can do for that at the moment, it's just something that needs time.

The bathroom could use a clean and you hope Law grabs some kind of cleaning supply while he's out, not like you can help or anything.

You make your way to the bedroom and check the wardrobe. No monsters but there is a dead spider. The mattress that sits in the middle of the floor is a little less dusty after you slept on it overnight but still pretty bad.

The sound of the front door opening startles you and you find yourself wincing from the pain of your jump.

"(Y/N)-ya?" You sigh and calm yourself down. It's just Law. No need to worry.

"In here." You call. You wander to the doorway to see Law heave the heavy looking bag off of his back and drop it into the couch. He passes you a rolled up newspaper then begins to unpack the bag.

"These things still exist?" You ask as you unroll it.

"The town here has iffy internet so they stick to some of the old ways." He replies.

You glance through the paper, looking for anything of interest and gape when your eyes land on your face.

"Congratulations (Y/N)-ya, you've made it into the paper." Law chuckles as he starts putting items of food away in the cupboards.

Sure enough your face is placed above a small "missing" article.

"Somewhere North of the city... Gone for four days... reward for whoever finds here... last seen with a tall tattooed male" You mutter as your eyes scan the printed letters. "Why aren't you mentioned as missing?"

"Sometimes my friends won't hear from me for months as a time and it's the Summer holidays so I'm not supposed to be anywhere."

"So if we're found they're going to blame everything on you." You realise.

"Yup. No matter what you say. Doflamingo has a lot of friends."

"At least we're safe here right?"

Law hums and moves to the bedroom.

"Law?" You follow him. "Can they find us here?"

"I saw Baby 5 and Buffalo in the town." He admits. "They didn't see me, I made sure of it but I can't go back, we'll have to hold out here for a while."

The rest of the day slugs on as slowly as a snail. The sun drags through the sky, creeping through the canopy and ensuring that there is nowhere you can be protected from the heat.

You lie on the couch, book in hand, wearing a mixture of light clothes. Reiju's clothes are close to fitting you but slightly bigger, making it slightly uncomfortable pants wise. It could easily be fixed with a belt but no one brought one.

You suppose it's not the worst thing to have loose fitting pants. At least you're alive and away from your father here.

You focus back on the book and realise you've been reading without taking anything in for over a page and now you'll have to go back. Sighing you close the book and sit up. The part of your back that was against the couch is beginning to sweat and you can't find anymore cool patches on the seat. You stand up and glance around the room, looking for the coolest place to move to.

The sun pours through the kitchen window and covers it in heat so that's out. The dining table and chairs are covered with Law's medical supplies and you don't want to move them. The couch is already warm from you sitting on it and the wooden floor is hard and uncomfortable.

You wander sluggishly through the doorway and into the bedroom where Law has his back propped up against a wall and is reading a book.

You shuffle towards him and slump over against him, your back against the wall.

"You're too warm." He complains playfully, putting down his book.

"The correct term is smoking hot." You throw him a half-assed wink and earn a small laugh. He has a light smile on his face that sends your heart racing.

He blushes slightly then slowly wraps an arm around you, pulling you closer into his side. The two of you sit there for a while, enjoying each other's company, until the heat finally becomes too much and both of you have to separate.

The sun is beginning to set but the heat doesn't leave with it.

"I'm scared." You admit, lightly running your hands over the bandages on your forearm.

"We'll figure something out." Law assures, holding your hand with his own and giving it a light squeeze.