Part 3

The dark doctor finished treating John's hand burn. John's hand was covered in white fabric that felt comfortable against his skin. Madalyn took out a medical tricorder. Madalyn scanned the two with a bulky device that seemed bulky, old fashioned at best with a black main theme with a silver secondary theme. Carly pressed a button underneath the tent. The tent collapsed turning into a small bundle with straps that were seen on three sections of it then it was moved into a large backpack. The dogs were surrounding Will and the Robot thumping their tails while being petted. Penny seemed to be concerned as she looked around. The object beeped softly then Madalyn lowered it down to her lap taking in the readings and pressed a few buttons on the med kit registering the reading for the woman. Watson was putting on the forearm glistening blades that had diamonds decorating the edges, when he closed his fist there came two daggers from the front end and he wore a satisfied look on his face.

"Doctor Madalyn?" Maureen started.

"Yes?" Madalyn said.

"How was the Jupiter when Smith was landing her on Earth?" Maureen asked.

"The Jupiter 2 was struggling to stay together," Madalyn said.

"Did the Jupiter stick together after the landing?" Don asked, coming over with a concerned expression on his face.

"She didn't have a mechanic replacing her hulls well enough during the trip," Madalyn said. "She was covered in space rust over transplanted metal that was like patches that didn't belong there. She didn't look herself." Don took a deep breath pacing back and forth. Madalyn briefly stopped as all eyes were now on her. "The front windows were replaced by the defense window shield." It dawned on Don that Smith had flown blind for some time with the Jupiter 2. "There is archived footage of the historic event and the first walk through of the ship. When she landed. . ."

"She fell apart," Don said.

"First it was the landing gear," Madalyn said. "Then it was the windows and the two of the support beams. The lower hangar door fell out. Most of her hulls fell off--"

"We get the picture," Maureen cut Madalyn off.

"The only thing wasn't broken outside the Jupiter was the main stairs," Madalyn said. "The cabins were the only rooms in the room that were not heavily damaged. Carefully preserved and taken care of compared to everything outside. Otherwise, it seemed she had gone through hell to bring what was left of her crew back to Earth. There is a recreation of her at the national museum of spacecraft. Most of our newer ships are modeled after the Jupiter. They are getting larger by the model. In fact, we got the USA Jupiter 2030. Was used a few years ago for the mass Jupiter colonization."

"Except it had problems that meant it couldn't be used as a home," Maureen said, earning a nod.

"So instead, it became a rescue vessel," Madalyn said." Had to come back because one of the cryostasis pods were having problems --That still hasn't been fixed--, the astrogator was having problems, the hyper drive had problems, and---it had too many glitches to bring a family to Alpha Centauri on a set course. Needed one person to pilot her for the five year flight--"

"Are the newer models flyable?" Don asked.

Madalyn nodded.

"The technology we have on Earth has to be replaced a lot so the older tech is more reliable for space," Madalyn said, then she smiled back. "Spaceships interior design hasn't changed that much."

"Except buttons?" Don asked. "Big, colorful buttons."

"Lots," Madalyn said.

"I can re-adjust easily," Don said.

"Is Earth any different down there?" Maureen asked.

"We can drop you off at Alpha Centauri to complete your mission," Madalyn said.

"You make it sound that Earth isn't a place to go back to," Maureen said.

"We are neck deep in world war 3," Kenanan said, as Madalyn was unable to form a reply.

"When did it start?" Don asked.

"2026," Kenanan said. "Alpha Control has been sending thousands of families to Alpha Centauri since then. Earth doesn't have a chance of surviving this war."

"Earth isn't the same planet you left it as," Madalyn said.

"What about New York City?" Maureen asked.

"New York City was the first city to be destroyed," Madalyn said. "they hit the major cities with nuclear warheads. Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose."

"Colonel Green isn't helping by killing the fucking survivors!" Kenanan said. "My sisters were ALIVE and WELL when he got there! When he left, they were dead! He killed them because they were fucking impure because of radiation sickness. Because they could hand down undesireable radiation deformations or some bullshit," he went into his tent putting on his standard uniform with the tent halfway zipped. "You don't want to go back to Earth."

"What about Taos, New Mexico?" John asked.

"New Mexico hasn't been bombarded as most of America has," Carly said. "If you have any family there, they may be dead or have left for Alpha Centauri."

"Did the colonists make it to Alpha Centauri?" Maureen asked.

"There has been radio silence regarding the subject," John's heart sank. "That is the official story."

"Unofficial story?" John asked.

"They made it," Watson said.

John, filled with resolve, only nodded then turned toward his family who were gathered in front of him. The professor explained to them what was the plan. Don nodded, in agreement then looked off warily toward the morning scenery coming from the tropical forest. Madalyn was checking her medical bag. She unclipped her white necklace when no one had their attention on her then slipped it into her pocket. The members of the rescue team consisted of spaceship pilot/security officer Lieutenant Bobellis, security officer Wyrt, security officer Carly, engineer Kenanan, Doctor Madalyn, Major Watson, animal handler Hamall, and the mostly silent member of the team Sanchisko. Sanchisko was the member who was the cook when there was plenty of food to go around.

"Robinsons, we will reach the Jupiter 2030 in a approximately three days," Watson said. "If we had the space pod it would take roughly a day. If we ran, we can reach the ship in two days and get off this planet."

"We're not leaving Doctor Smith behind," Will said.

"Some days, we have to make difficult decisions," Watson said. "I am sure you and your family understands that."

"I doubt that it would be difficult for you," The Robot protested, bobbing his head up. "We heard everything." And suddenly, Watson felt the heavy furious weight of their eyes on him.

"He won't, Will," John said, placing a hand on the young boy's shoulder. "He is going back for him." John turned his attention onto Watson with certainty.

Watson glanced over toward Bobellis who nodded in return, a silent promise, then turned his attention back onto the Robinsons. "Otherwise, if you like to enjoy what vacation you came here for---"

"No," John cut him off, with a shake of his head. "These are hunting grounds. This is not a place to relax."

"When I said I needed a vacation I didn't mean from life," Maureen said, jokingly.

John looked down toward Maureen affectionately, lovingly with a smile then toward Watson.

"Lead the way, Major Watson," John said.

Watson gestured the line then they went toward the direction that they had came in thirty years ago.