Dirty laundry

Thats right, we are gonna air some dirty laundry.  What are some of our worst habits as writers? Well I've asked, and been answered.

These comments are from actual wattpad users.
Sometimes I will use multiple platforms to gather feedback but that was strictly good old wattpad forums. 

-I'm always in a hurry to get to the 'good part' or the end. I tend to gloss over things that should be given more time and description, and I often forget to include important details like what people are feeling and where they are standing.

Fortunately, beta readers are really good at catching those oversights and calling me out on them. One of the main reasons I'm very glad that I found my way to Wattpad.

-Probably my confidence. It is very rare for me not to hate my writing at least once during the creation of the first draft. And that lack of confidence hinders me completely with any future drafts. I get it into my head no amount of editing will make it not suck so why bother. I'm shocked I'm even able to complete a first draft.

-Inability to stick to one plot idea.
Unable to finish a novel.
WATCHING A SHOW OR MOVIE WHILE WRITING/MULTI-TASKING!!!

-Envy and comparison to other, better writers. Also someone once made a post on tumblr about "ugly block" I get that a lot. When I look at something I'm writing and it just looks absolutely hideous to me. As a visual and aesthetic writer it can be very discouraging.

-"Oh I need a name for this person/place/thing" -proceeds to spend way too much time trying to come up with some kind of meaningful/fitting name, grinding my writing process to a halt, even though it's reaaaally not that important and it's probably gonna end up sounding dumb anyway cause I suck at naming things-
Every time.

-Not plotting and world building enough. It's not a good habit since I'll get stuck and then frustrated if I write without a plot to lead me.(We will discuss this later!)

-Forgetting some of the details in my story and later creating plot holes which is followed by me getting frustrated once I realize it.(We all do this from time to time)

-Poor diction (like using the word "suddenly" too often). Continuity errors from recycling an old draft and forgetting to fix the details. Comma placement (a quick read-through often reveals 10 or so commas in the wrong place).

You should see my first drafts. They make me want to puke.

There are so many things we do as authors that some might label a bad habit.
Some things that work for someone else might not work for you, so don't beat yourself up.

Sometimes we all need to take a step back from our writing and come back with fresh eyes.

What is your go to method of distancing yourself from your story?

I like to read other novels. Fill my head with new styles of dialogue and a different plot.