Chapter One

___

___

      Josiah adjusted the red and white striped beanie atop of his head in the mirror, before sitting on his bed and trying to put his feet inside of his shoes. Or as much as he could with one hand. He actively ignored his mom's worried glances she kept throwing him from the hallway everytime she passed his door. His mother was quite the anxious woman. In his 15 years, he's never seen his her completely calm unless she was taking care of plants or sleeping. Or completely blazed with his dad.

The sound of her chime anklet and matching bracelets combined to make a short song as she stepped into his room.

"So, where are you going?" She interrogated.

Josiah got frustrated of trying to tie his shoes without the use of his left hand and decided to stuff the laces inside. This cast was really getting on his nerves. With a enervated sigh, Joey looked up at his mother.

"Ma, I told you and dad yesterday. The football team's having a game tonight. You guys said I could go."

Not like he actually liked the sport. Why would you willingly try to get a concussion? No, he was going to support Patrick's endeavor to support Brad. Even if he himself didn't understand why the senior was doing this, he and Sam would be there for him.

"You can. It's just that we usually spend time together on Fridays."

"And every other day after school. It's only one night, Ma. I'm sure I won't miss anything that can't be done tomorrow." His parents were normally nonchalant about whatever he did, but ever since he fractured his arm, they were, understandably, overwhelmingly interested in everything he did. He couldn't even ride his bike anymore.

His mother put her ring covered hands on her hips, before answering.

"Just don't do anything the fuzz could bust you for. At least not in public." There was an amused twinkle in her eyes that suggested she was kidding, but he knew she meant it.

She spread her arms out on either side of her and gestured for him to get up. "Come on, give mama a hug."

Without hesitation, Josiah stood up from his slumped position on the bed and wrapped his mom in an embrace. Nobody could ever say he didn't love his mama.

"Something is going to happen tonight," she whispered into their hug, "I can feel it." His mom liked to think herself physic, but his family (himself included) took everything she said to heart. She hasn't been wrong yet.

"Good or bad?" Joey asked, but he wasn't sure he really wanted the answer. She predicted the same thing when he had his bike accident. Who knows what would happen to him tonight, but he wasn't one to run away from a problem. No matter how hurt he might get in the process.