Chapter I: 4th of July and that's all

4th of July.

5 AM. Lights are still out in the huge office room. Chairs are well arranged. Plain but stylish carpets entirely covered the floor, not anyone could sense any walking or tapping sound of shoes. The area is quiet and the only thing to hear is the splattering of the rain on the roofs, almost noiseless, like hushing, inviting back to the crib, perhaps what you call a bed-weather.

Sometimes, it's quite great to be at the office without people walking around, chit-chatting, and doing their jobs. Maybe, it's sometimes nice to be alone in a quiet place. It's a bit scary though, walking in the dark. But maybe, once I turn on the lights, everything will be perfectly fine.

My heart thumped strongly as I slowly walk into the dark room to reach the light switch. My mouth is dry because of the cold air or maybe because of fear. Finally, my hand now has a grip on what I need. As I was about to turn on the lights I heard a pen tapping.

Shit. I'm sure no one's here. Only me.

Scared though, I prepared my self. I closed my fist, positioned, ready to hit that someone or something. Maybe a ghost. Or an alien. Or a killer.

As the room illuminates, I slowly started to see that it's not what I think it is. It's a someone, an officemate, a boss, maybe (coz he's sitting on a chair inside a room).

The fast beating of my heart started to calm down. Fear left my pale, dry mouth which brought back the red of it.

To know who that someone is, I walked near the room where the noise is coming from and when I reached my destination, I saw him. He's truly a boss - from another department, I think.

What. the. heck.

His door was open. I stood in front of it. My lips are apart, "A..Ahh..", ready for talking but I can barely even say a word.

"Simona?" His voice was gruff and the tone was teasing. He's almost laughing. Judging him by the first impression, I see him as a pesty person, a narcissist, someone who's full of confidence, though he really looks intelligent because of his eyeglasses.

"Do you need something?" he continued.

Thanks for that first impression. What's your name? And... do I look like I need something?

"You scared me," I said to him. "How did you know me and who are you?"

I'm serious. I don't know him. This is the first time I saw him and I don't talk to people that I don't know.

He stood up from his chair. He was irked not because Simona did not get annoyed by his teasing but because she does not know him. He's actually quite popular and important, well bosses are. Plus, calling her by name had made it looked like he knows Simona. So he had to act confidently in his answer.

"If I'm not mistaken, you're Simona, right? The weird employee from the other department. You don't know me? I was one of the bosses who emailed your team about the change of Pricing on the company product? There was a problem on your end and I'm sure that's the reason why you're here at the office today despite the July 4 holiday. By the way, I'm David."

Woah. That was rude. He's a jerk. Am I weird? Maybe, I'm just unique?

Lots of thoughts are running into my head on how I could answer him rudely, but I think I need to calm down and make it seem like I'm not affected.

"So you were the David who has been sending us emails about the company pricing update or something? Glad to have met you now." I extended my hand so we can shake hands. "The reason why I'm here is that I'm reviewing the email you have sent as it is needed to be finalized today. It's fine if I cannot celebrate the holiday, the truth is I don't celebrate it. How about you? Won't you celebrate?"