#3 I Tackle Nico Di Angelo in a Candy Store and We Become Friends

We headed out early, before my stepdad Gabe could notice.
I walked beside my mom and Nico slowly trailed behind us, hands in his jacket pockets.
My mother frowned at this arrangement, but said nothing.
When we reached the candy store I ran inside so fast that, my mom had to pull me back beside her.
Nico said nothing, but he covered his mouth and I assumed he was trying not to laugh.
I wondered why he did that.
Was laughing not permitted when you lived with The Lord of the Dead?
Finally, my mom let go of me once we'd reached the area of the store where all the blue candy was.
"Alright Percy, you and Nico can go now. Have fun!", she called out, as I dashed into the aisles of assorted delicacies.
My cousin followed slowly behind, stared at the shelves and sighed.
"You want some candy, Nico?", I asked him, holding up a box of blue jellybeans.
He shook his head.
Okay, so maybe he didn't like jellybeans, I'd try something else.
"How bout some of these?", I asked again, holding up a bag of blue jawbreakers.
He shook is head yet again, so I went and looked some more.
I couldn't be sure, but I thought he was smiling at me as I dashed between the aisles, grabbing all the blue candy I could find, the thought made me happy.
"Alright, well that's all the blue candy. I don't eat any other colour of food except blue, so you're on your own."
He giggled.
"Why?"
I nearly fell over again, like I had the other day when he'd talked, but I stopped myself with the shelf.
No way was I falling again for his enjoyment.
I thought of what to say about his question.
The truth was: nobody had really ever asked me about that.
They just assumed it was some kid-thing and that I'd grow out of it.
Ha-ha, nope.
"Well", I started.
"Awhile ago, my mom and my stepdad got into a fight because, he claimed there was no such thing as 'blue food'.", I made air quotes as I said the words.
He nodded than giggled.
The sound was music to my ears.
"Anyway, my mom said that there was, he didn't believe her still so she decided we'd eat blue her and I. Since then, all we eat is stuff that can be or turned blue."
He giggled, again.
"That's kinda stupid!"
My face got hot.
How dare he insult my meal habits!
"No, it isn't."
He smirked.
"Yes, it is"
I looked at my cousin.
He was so wrong.
Nico Di Angelo, you're going down!
I thought.
And just like that, I tackled him to the ground.
He shrieked and screamed.
"P-Percy! S-Stop! S-Stop!"
But, I didn't.
"Take it back!", I yelled, still wrestling him.
He shook his head.
So, I started to tickle him.
That did it, he finally yelled out: "Okay! Okay! I take it back! Blue food isn't stupid!"
I smiled and got up, satisfied.
That was when my mother appeared, a look of concern on her face.
"Boys, what happened?"
I laughed.
"Nothing, mom"
Nico stuff out his tongue.
I stuck out my tongue back at him.
My mom smiled.
"Okay, who wants ice-cream?"

"I'm sorry, Percy", my cousin Nico said, as we sat outside on the apartment steps eating blue ice-cream.
My mom had took the courtesy of dying it blue for us.
I looked up from my cone and gave him a curious look.
"What do you mean?"
He shrugged.
"Well, about how I've acted. I'm sorry. I'm not used to being around other people and I get really nervous when I have to. At home, people always ignore me.", he said the words, like they were venom.
I frowned.
"Why?"
He didn't speak right away, just looked out at the street, lost in his thoughts.
"I want to be your friend, Percy. I'm tired of being alone. Today-", his voice faltered.
"Today, you showed me the most happiness I've had in a long time. It was really great. I do t want to be alone all the time, Percy. My stepmom doesn't want me to be either..."
I nodded.
"She does have a point."
He got up suddenly.
"Can I show you something?", he asked.
"Okay"
"Grab my hand."
I looked confused.
"Um, where are we going?"
He grinned, slightly.
"We're going shadow-travelling."
Before I could say anything, he grabbed my hand and pulled me up beside him.
I couldn't believe it, this morning Nico Di Angelo would barely look at me much less talk to me, now he was holding my hand and transporting me through shadows.
I looked up at the window and saw my mom standing there.
She was smiling at us.
I watched her wave as we disappeared into the shadows.
Things were gonna change now.
I thought.
No going back...