Chapter Two

Elijah

"Our world is coming to a complete stop! This should have happened years ago!" Sir Alkyne shouts at the end of the table.
"The girl was but a child! Completely oblivious! She would not have been any good to us then! The prophecy clearly states that the flower would only show its self to the girl on the eighteenth summer! That's only in a couple of days. Surely, you've got that much patience left, Alkyne." My father, Johnathan, speaks sarcastically to the old fool. Alkyne glares at him and crosses his arms. "The plague has yet to reach your lands, Lord Johnathan. Whereas we've been preparing for the inedible that's to come in a weeks time! My people are beginning to Fall ill. We cannot waste anymore time."
"And we shall not any longer, Sir Alkyne." Lord Ferguson. "Lord Johnathan's son, Elijah, is to retrieve the girl tomorrow night." Eyes fell on me and I kept a strong composure and simply nodded at them. I dare not move from the corner where I had stood the entire the meeting took place.
"After we get the girl we'll discuss the rest of the plan." Lord Johnathan stands up followed by Lord Ferguson, Sir Alkyne and a couple others. The knights standing around them fell into line to leave behind them. "For now, let's have supper and get a good nights rest. Tomorrow our lives will be changed forever." He murmurs the last sentence as he heads toward the dining hall. I start to descend to my room when my father stops me.
"Son, come, have supper with us." He smiles, it does not reach his eyes. I fear it has never reached his eyes nor will it ever. Not even for his sons.
"Thank you, father. But I will have supper in my room so I won't dally any longer. I need to keep up my strength for tomorrow."
He nods, secretly approving my answer. Though quite obvious. "As you wish, son. We are all counting on you." I simply nod at him and walk away.
Walking back to my room, I noticed a slim, busty figure leaning on my door. I sighed, "not tonight, Vanya. I need to rest tonight."
She clicks her tongue and gracefully moves toward me. Her soft tan hands scan my chest and arms as she wraps around me. I could smell the wild flowers in her long black hair, it was hard to not get intoxicated. Her piercing green eyes stared into mine   as her dark red full lips began to smile that smile.             "Oh, darling. When I'm through with you, you'll be knocked out until next week." She promised.
        "As tempting as that sounds, no. This mission is very important and I can't risk everyone's lives getting distracted. Go to bed and we'll pick this up another day."
"I'm just a distraction to you?" She asks hurt. It was nothing short of the truth. I had no true feelings for her. She was gorgeous enough to take my mind off of being the best for my father.
"Go to bed and we'll pick this up another day." I repeated. "Goodnight, Vanya." I look into her glaring eyes and then shut the door. She groaned at the door, kicked it and stomped away. I rolled my eyes. She had a Knack of getting what she wanted and could be overly dramatic when she didn't.
      Casting her out of my mind, I undressed and crawled into bed. By the time I get back Vanya will have gotten over her pity pout and pick up where we left off. I fell into slumber with that thought in my mind.

No matter how I envisioned how this was going to go.

I wasn't prepared for her.