Chapter Fourteen

That night, Haruki couldn't fall asleep. His head was racing with thoughts of Ren and Shizuka and his relationship with the two.

Shizuka is my girlfriend, right? But, like, I feel more like I'm in a shojo manga when I'm with Ren, and I want to kiss him more than I do Shizuka. Does this mean I shouldn't be Shizuka's boyfriend? But Ren really wanted us to get together, it would suck to upset him by breaking up. But... wait why am I not breaking up with Shizuka because Ren would get upset? Shouldn't this be more about me and her? Why am I bringing Ren into this? Is it because he's the one who got us together in the first place? Or is it because I...

As Haruki rolled around in his bed, sorting his thoughts, a realization hit him.

I'm gay. Or wait, no, not really gay, but I was Hana, who was straight, but now I'm a boy, so I'm gay. Which means.... crap.

He sat up as he realized that he had a crush on Ren. Was it a big crush, he didn't really know. But he knew it was a crush and that it was pointless to be with Shizuka any longer.

Uwaa... But what if Ren isn't gay? He totally looks like he'd have a girlfriend, but you can't judge people by they're looks. And how would Shizuka react if I broke up with her? She'd probably hate me forever. Or at least for a long time. When should I do it? How should I do it? Should I tell Ren? Would he get mad at me? I don't want Ren to hate me!!

Haruki tossed and turned all night until he made up his mind and fell asleep.

"Hey, Ren? Can you wait for me after school? I need to do something before we go."

Ren stared at Haruki in perplexity as he made his request. The last bell had just rung, and Ren was ready to walk home with Haruki as per usual. This sudden change in attitude was extremely odd for Haruki.

"Why? What do you need to do?"

"I-I'll tell you later, okay? Just wait, please." Haruki's eyes were pleading, with a twinge of fear and worry. He clasped his hands together and looked up at Ren.

"Uh, alright fine. I'll wait." Ren could practically hear the commentary. Haruki used puppy-dog eyes, it was super effective! Ren fainted!

"Thank you!" Haruki spontaneously hugged Ren, who pet him on the head. "I'll be sure to make it quick!"

The two boys parted ways, Ren heading for the school gates and Haruki off towards who-knows-where, the twinge of worry still in his eyes.

Ren was scrolling through his phone when he heard Haruki coming back from wherever he needed to go. Haruki didn't say anything, but Ren could recognize his footsteps (Yes, I'm that much of a stalker, he thought.).

He quickly shut his phone off and stuffed it in his backpack before looking at Haruki. "Oh my god, what on earth happened to you?!"

Haruki was on the verge of tears. He was biting his lip and his eyes were downcast, almost guilty. His interlocked fingers rubbed together nervously, and he seemed to be immensely regretting his actions.

"What happened?" Repeated Ren.

"I—" Haruki's voice cracked. "I broke up with Shizuka."

"You did what?!?!" Ren nearly choked on air. He covered his mouth with his hand to stop himself from yelling. "You broke up with Shizuka?!"

Haruki's eyes started welling up. "You're mad at me, aren't you? Because you kept saying how me and Shizuka should be a couple and I— I'm sorry." He started wiping his eyes and blinking really fast to hide his tears.