Chapter 21: The End

Begin!

Universe*

~Normal POV

Whitmore Academy ended up being exactly as Dewey had described, a refined establishment built on caring for its students, and everyone had settled in comfortably after the first few days. They shared a massive dorm, with plenty of room for them all; even Fiona got to join them after convincing her stepfather to let her leave his service, and she happily settled into her new life on land. Sunny attended daycare every day from 7 a.m. to dinnertime at 6. Already Violet and Klaus were infinitely grateful that their little sister was being treated so fairly in their new home. Principal Whitmore agreed wholeheartedly with them that Prufrock was perhaps the worst example of a school in the world, even without comparing it to their new school.

While they couldn't access their family fortunes for another 3 years, the school did offer job opportunities for students who needed some extra cash. Violet took up a job working in the school's auto shop, getting paid to help fix vehicles. It wasn't as creative as making her own personal inventions, but she had plenty of time on her own to do that; this was for work experience. Duncan, much to the surprise of no one, immediately took a job working for the school newspaper. Within the first week of their stay he had already captured everyone's attention with his lengthy, truthful, detailed articles on whatever news happened to be circling around. Klaus and Isadora happily took up work in the school's massive library helping the librarian with various tasks. The researcher and the poet both agreed that the best part of their job was simply being able to work together, even if it meant having to keep themselves from getting too distracted with each other. Fiona took a job in the school's science department, helping organize and plan things like fairs, along with working with equipment and experiments. Quigley helped out in the school's art studio teaching others with his map drawing skills.

Quigley agreed to take Fiona to visit her brother in prison whenever she felt it necessary as a little tradition for them. The mycologist couldn't have been more grateful to her brother for allowing them to be together. In more ways than just giving permission; given how he had protected her so fiercely. Fernald had even taken a liking to Quigley; he understood that this boy was technically his enemy for the longest time, but his change of heart was very apparent. The man with hooks instead of hands had never thought that his sister would fall for his enemy, and yet even in his miserable prison cell he was happy to see them together.

It had been a little over a week since their arrival. Duncan and Violet had taken up sleeping in the same room as they had discussed in private. Since it was a shared dorm between multiple girls and boys, the school didn't seem that strict on sleeping arrangements. Not that anyone really minded if the inventor and the journalist slept together; after all they were just sleeping in the same place not doing anything else, as they were too young for such things. Klaus and Quigley ended up sharing a room as Isadora and Fiona hadn't reached the point of being comfortable enough to share rooms with their boyfriends yet, choosing instead to share with each other; a fact that the boys were perfectly fine to accept. This was a good thing though as Duncan and Quigley also weren't comfortable with the idea of their sister being alone in a bed with her boyfriend every night. Especially since Klaus was still only 13.

On the first Monday of the following week, the seven of them were hanging out after class in their dorm finding ways to occupy their time. The phone started ringing, which was odd because very few people would actually call them unless it was a work related matter from their jobs. Violet answered it, hoping it wasn't bad news.

"Hello... Dewey? I thought you said we wouldn't- WHAT!? Where are you," Violet quickly grabbed a pen and wrote something down as the others watched wondering what was going on, "Oh, classes let out earlier today so we've got time. Of course, we'll be there soon! Good bye!"