Chapter 15: Kit's Promise

Begin!

Universe*

~Normal POV

It was just past 8 the next morning when the Queequeg finally arrived at its Vigorously Fixed Destination. They parked at a dock and the Baudelaires and Quagmires gathered their belongings, ensuring they didn't leave anything behind, and said good bye to Captain Widdershins and Phil. Fiona wished to come see them off and followed the others up the ladder and out of the ship. The Baudelaires looked around the area with mixed emotions in their faces.

"We made it to Briny Beach, just like we were told," Violet said, her voice shaking a bit.

Duncan wrapped his arm around her as she reached down to hold Sunny's hand. Klaus and Isadora held each other as the poet could feel her love's sorrow from being in this miserable location. Quigley stood by Fiona as they watched the others' solemn reactions. His own eyes were downcast as he couldn't stop thinking about the fact that he had to say good bye so soon.

"Where's Kit," Isadora asked looking around nervously.

"Her taxi is parked on the curb," Klaus replied looking through his spyglass, "She's waiting for us."

"Then you should get going," Fiona said.

They all smiled at her and thanked her for helping them. The others started to walk a little ahead, but Quigley didn't move. He grabbed Fiona's hand and looked into her eyes.

"Before I go, I just wanted to say I'll miss you," He said quietly.

She gave him a sad smile, "I'll miss you too, Quigley. It's been a pleasure to know you."

He sighed and blurted out a question that he hadn't actually meant to ask, "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?"

She laughed lightly and put a hand on his cheek, he leaned into her soft touch, "I can't. My place is with my stepfather. And your place is with your siblings. Family is the most important thing in the world. I wouldn't dare ask you to leave your family; please don't ask me to leave mine. Besides my stepfather says we're going to the meeting on Friday too so this isn't good bye forever."

"It sure feels like it is."

"I hope you have a safe journey from here, Quigley. I... care about you a lot..."

She moved her glasses to wipe away the tears that threatened to spill over. He felt his heart warm from her sweet words.

In a swift move that he had done often before he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her close, his eyes never leaving hers, as he spoke, "I'll be fine. And just in case we don't see each other again, here's something to remember me by."

He kissed her deeply. Her eyes widened with shock before she felt her knees weaken. Fiona had never had a boyfriend, and she had surely never been kissed before, but this was better than she could have imagined. She wrapped her arms around his neck as her insides fluttered. The two didn't care one bit that the rest of the group was watching them. When the couple pulled away Fiona's face was now very red as she adjusted her glasses.

"Wow," She breathed, her brain was now rather dizzy with delight at his romantic gesture.

He smirked, "Yeah I know. I've been told I'm a good kisser. And I'll make sure we see each other again soon; promise."

"You mean that?"

"Absolutely; I have to go now," He reluctantly let go of her, "Good bye, Doll."

Fiona grinned, "Good bye Quigley, I'll hold you to that promise."

She turned and entered her submarine once again as the six of them hurried over to the taxi. Kit greeted them with a smile and commanded them inside as she started the car. Violet and Klaus got into the front once again with Sunny in their arms as the triplets took the back seat. Kit examined the area with her spyglass before deciding it was safe and they drove away.