Chapter 1: Big Red

Two year old Big Red sighed as he laid his weary body down on the dirt ground.

Big Red lived in the backyard of champion dog fighter Jack Dompsey.

Ever since Jack Dompsey picked Big Red up from the streets, he had trained him for one thing, and one thing only. To fight.

Big Red has been in dozens of dogfights. And since then, he has lost an eye, ear, and half his tail. He also had a scar running across his snout.

Big Red lifted up his heavy head as he saw the back door open.

Out walked Jack Dompsey carrying a heavy metal chain.

As he stood by the weary pit bull, he hooked the heavy chain to the collar and attached a muzzle to Big Red's snout.

Then he dragged the poor dog across the yard to inside.

---

Ding! Ding! The bell rung signaling that the dogs were about to fight.

Big Red stood in the middle of an enclosure with high walls. He ignored all the cheering that was echoing above him. His mind was focused on one thing. To fight.

Big Red snarled and quickly turned around to be face to face with a black pit bull. His opponent.

Big Red lunged at the dog and they both rolled around growling and nipping at each other.

The fight lasted for hours but to Big Red, it seemed like days.

He finally stood up and looked down successfully at his dead opponent.

Big Red heard the crowd cheer. He wagged his stumpy tail in celebration.

If he was successful in a fight, he got awarded with extra water.

But if he backed away from one, severe punishments were made.

Big Red watched as Jack came into the room and hooked the heavy chain and muzzle to him.

Even though Big Red was trained to fight, he knew not to attack his handler.

He did one time, he was only one and it was after his first fight.

Big Red was left under the hot sun with no food or water for a month.

Big Red growled as he felt his handler yank on the heavy metal chain.

---

Big Red looked around the backyard where he lived in. The dry dirt ground and the metal chains that laid all over. It wasn't much to look at, but these things were the welcoming sights of home. The only home that Big Red has lived in for two years ever since he was born.

This yard was the only home that Big Red would ever live in.

That was until the police came.

---

Did You Know? Some dog fighters make their dogs swim in pools or walk on a treadmill to build endurance.

Information from: http://people.howstuffworks.com/dogfighting3.htm