| 04 | Friday, March 21

|  0 4  | Friday, March 21

            It has been thirty-six days that Arizona and Jeremy have been dating. She knows this for sure because Crosley has been counting and the rest of her so-called friends have found that they enjoy counting with him. Despite this, they all say that she and Jeremy are a grenade ready to blow and they think that Arizona should get out when she can; they say that the aftermath might be quite cataclysmic. After meeting his parents, she had confessed to her friends that she doesn’t feel anything for her boyfriend. Crosley had very helpfully informed her that she was screwed and the girls had hummed their agreement.  

            Of course, it really does not help that her parents demand to meet her boyfriend. Arizona has taken to peeking around corners to make sure that her mother is nowhere near the room she is about to enter and Lara, the oh, so very helpful Lara, has decided to watch the horror story unfold, finding it all too amusing.

            Now, Arizona is splayed out on her bed, nose buried in a book. She is reareading the Harry Potter series and only God knows what round she is on. Probably somewhere in the thirteens. It is only normal that just as Harry is about to stab the diary with the tooth that her mother’s voice calls for her. “What!” she hollers back. Her mother keeps yelling and keeps yelling back until Cora’s voice gets so loud that she is screeching. Sighing, Arizona puts a pencil in the book to hold her place and heaves herself off the bed, out of the room, and up the stairs. This always happens. She’s always the one who has to move so her mother can hear her—who called for Arizona first, mind you.

            “What?” she asks now, standing before her mother where she sits reclined on the most comfortable couch in the living room.

            “I’d really love it if you brought Jeremy home, you know,” her mom smiles a kind smile and Lara, who is sitting in the corner, slowly lowers the magazine that had been obscuring her face prior to Arizona’s arrival. A look that Arizona believes is far too evil settles over her sister’s face as she watches the show unravel before her.

            “God, Mom,” Arizona groans, collapsing back onto the piano bench. She doesn’t know why her parents decided to put the piano in the living room of all places. It takes up so much room. “We’ve only been dating for, like, a month. That’s barely anything.”

            “Yes, but you met his parents already! It’s only fair that we get to meet him.”

            “Yes, it’s only fair, Zona,” Lara repeats tauntingly from where she sits and Arizona turns to fix her with a glare.

            “How old are you, two?” she snaps but Lara only smirks. “Shut up.”

            “Didn’t say anything,” Lara shrugs innocently and Arizona’s scowl grows deeper.

            “Yeah, but your face is just so goddamn irritating that I didn’t rea—”

            “Zona, hon’, please?” Cora interrupts, knowing where her daughters’ argument will go from here (that would be explicits and rude gestures).

            Arizona stares at her mother’s pleading face for a moment and her glare softens. Huffing, she throws her hands up in surrender. “Fine! Fine! I’ll call him now, okay?”

            “Oh, my god, thank you!” Cora squeals, much unlike the way forty-year-olds should act. “Lara, what should I make for him? This is so exciting! Our Zona got a boyfriend! Holy hell, this is the best.” Waving with two fingers, Arizona irritably makes her way back to her room and aggressively pulls her phone out to call Jeremy.