Taylor Caniff

Fast Lane

"Taylor! Slow it down now!" I screamed as Taylor pushed his foot further onto the accelerator. We were now nearly going 90 miles per hour on the wrong side of the road just because Taylor couldn’t control his road rage. "Tay I’m being serious STOP!" By this point I was practically in tears. In the distance I could see headlights and the fact we we were now stuck in the wrong side of traffic I was panicking…big time.“Does he realise how fast this baby can go? Now who’s gonna cut who up huh?” Tay yelled as he suddenly swerved back into the right lane earning a colossal amount of brake screeching from behind.“Taylor Caniff stop this car right now or else I will jump out whilst it’s moving.” His face dropped from the smug smirk that had been firmly placed there a second ago and was now a picture of concern. “Looks like it’s the latter.” I said as I began to remove my seat belt and lean for the handle.“No (Y/N), wait let me pull over.” He indicated and we eventually came to a stop in a small lay-by about 3 miles from my house. “(Y/N) I didn’t even think…it’s a force of habit. I’m sorry I scared you but I’m not your mum; I won’t let it get that far and will definitely never harm you.” Taylor’s eyes were piercing into the side of my head as I unlocked the door and stepped out. Six years ago, my mum and I were on our way to the cinema when some woman in the car in front cut us up and blocked us in between two lorries. Once the lorries had moved my mums terrible road rage kicked in and she sped the car up to 90 on a 70 road. Of course we caught up with the car quick and soon we were racing with it, my mum constantly glaring at the other woman. Mum only took her eyes if the road for a millisecond when she lost control and we spun off into the oncoming traffic. Minutes later, I no longer had a mum and I almost no longer had a life. From then on I had suffered terrible nightmares and flashbacks…all until I met Taylor two years ago. He taught me how to drive and how to trust people in cars again.“(Y/N) you can’t walk home it’s 3 miles.” He whined as he drove slowly next to me. “Please, I am begging you, get back in the car and I will drive at 10 mph the whole way there I pinky promise.” After a mile of this he gave up and drove off in a huff.FinallyI thought to myself as I finally could walk in peace.It took me an hour and a half to walk home but to be honest the walk did me good. Maybe I had over reacted with Tay. Deep down in my heart I knew he would never have let it get too much further and I knew he was truly sorry for it. Although something else in me, common sense maybe, was telling me that the next time we met I would have to call it off between us. If I couldn’t feel safe with him who could I?That night the nightmares came back. Sick of waking up in a pool of my own cold sweat, at 6am I got up, wrapped a blanket around me and wandered downstairs, tears still fresh in my eyes. Looking out onto the front porch my eyes widened as I saw Taylor laying on my doorstep asleep. Hurrying to the door I threw it open to expose him laying there dreary eyed.“(Y/N) you’re finally awake!” He said overjoyed as he finally seemed to fully awaken. “Okay you know I don’t say stuff that I don’t mean so here it goes…I have laid here since 10 last night thinking over everything I have done, promised and believed, here’s my conclusion: I promised you that I would never ever do what your mum did and last night I broke that promise. I knew how much a repeat of that day terrified you, yet I still let my wild side get the better of me. Of course I could come up with some bullshit excuse about how it will never happen again or try and reverse the blame onto you but you know that’s not me. I’m gonna give you the truth and that is that once in a while I am going to forget myself but in those moments I am gonna need you to pull me back from them and remind me what I am risking losing. You. For the past two years you have been more of a rock to me than I have for you.” “Tay…The nightmare came back.” That’s all I needed to say before I was completely engulfed in his warm body. “I need you to make them stop again.” I begged. Just him being there made all the thoughts and memories of six years ago vanish and I felt normal again. I was me. With him being there, no matter how many stupid mistakes he makes, I was infinite.